Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How many bottles do you have?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Schnitzengiggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default How many bottles do you have?

I at some point will be making a keezer, and a fermentation chamber out of a chest freezer, but for now I don't really have the room for them, so I obviously bottle.

I was wondering, for those of you out there who bottle, what do you have your collection up to?

I have a little over 175 bottles, mostly New Belgium and Sam Adams but here are some Gordon Beirsch and oddballs in there too. I also have 3 growlers (mainly for making starters, but I do take one down to the brewpub now and again to have it filled.)

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4695 Times on 4350 Posts
Likes Given: 58

No matter how many you have on hand, it will always be short 15 or 20 for that next batch and as soon as you start kegging, it will always be 1 too many (unless you compete and then it waill always be the wrong kind).

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Apollo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never counted before, but a doing a quick estimation, I'd say I have around 200 give or take. Mine are a large mix of a bunch of different types. My most recent score was 2 boxes full of flip tops of various sizes off of CL.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Does anyone know of a good source for cobalt blue 1000ml swingtops?

I was thinking of giving some Apfelwein to a few people for Christmas, and these bottles look impressive.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
SnickASaurusRex
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 7 Posts

300+ - 12oz
30 - 32oz flip tops (I use these for a gallon or two that I will drink a little younger than my other bottles).
12 - bombers

two trash cans collecting bottles at local bars

I am considering converting my home office into a bottling and conditioning room. The main plumbing in the home travels on the inside wall of that room.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #6
Monghetti
Recipes 

I am up to about 200-250 bottles. Bottling can be a pain, but I much prefer a bottled beer over draft.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #7
abrew4me
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have very few long-necks sitting around--only enough for when I think a brew is worth entering into a comp. Mainly, I have about four dozen Grolsch and Fisher Ale bottles and a number of other odd-shaped bottles siting around at any given time.

I used to have nearly ten cases of long-neck bottles before I began to keg my brews, but it took up so much space in the garage...

Working in food and beverage, I can accumulate bottles rather quickly, so having them on-hand is not all too necessary.

Added: I highly suggest to anyone who brews to a pick-up a part-time job at a nearby restaurant/bar. Besides the ease of accumulating bottles, there are the contacts with the local soda distributors (co2 tanks, regulators, co2 manifolds, SS ice chests (great for swamp coolers/heaters (if you're brewing a Saison). I'd say that nearly one third of my brewing supplies have been gathered in the food and beverage industry. Besides, you'll make some extra cash to buy ingredients! The possibilities are endless.

Be selective. Find a place that still uses pre-mix soda kegs. They're still out there. The deposit on the kegs for the restaurants are usually only $5. What a steal!

Last edited by abrew4me; 04-29-2009 at 10:07 PM.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle View Post
Does anyone know of a good source for cobalt blue 1000ml swingtops?
I have 12 of them that I use for apfelwein. I got them from Olde Burnside Brewing, I had to drink the beer that came in them. I know some of the online retailers sell them but they're usually kinda expensive. I got mine filled with beer for close to same price as the new empty ones online.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #9
Brewin_the_goods
Recipes 

I just started brewing but I've been saving my bottles for about 6 months, I'd say I have around 150-200 and combined with the girlfriend around 250. Mostly Sierra Nevada or Cut Throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bluewagons View Post
homebrew is for sharing. A$$hole brothers are for punching. See if you can cleverly combine the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanis View Post
And Jesus too. He loved wine. Total party guy. Rolls into a party, "What, all you have is water?!? Wine, bitches!"

Old 04-29-2009, 09:52 PM   #10
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

I dislike the Sierra Nevada bottles, they make good beer, but I can't fit as many of those fat bottles into my milk crates for stacking. I keep em for a while if I need'em in a pinch, but I usually end up chucking them after a while.

Quick Reply