Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How many bottles can I get out of a 5 gallon batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 01:03 AM   #1
TravelBastard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How many bottles can I get out of a 5 gallon batch?

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see anything when I tried to search.

Anyways, I just bottled my first batch and I only got 38 bottles out of it. Is this normal? Here is my process:

I kept the wort in my primary and moved it to my secondary after about 2 weeks. I know I lost a bit there because I didn't syphon all of the sludge at the bottom out of the primary (I didn't think I was supposed to since my syphon kept getting clogged) I also started off with my Ale Pale exactly at the 5 gallon mark.

Any advice or pointers would be great. I'd like to know how to get the most out of my beer. Thanks everyone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 01:06 AM   #2
telemarc
Recipes 

You would typically get 50-53 12oz. bottles out of a 5 gallon brew. Did you top off your wort with water after you cooled it? IMO, it's no big deal. I only got 48 12oz. bottles out of my last batch.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:09 AM   #3
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

That seems like a lot of loss, are they all 12 oz bottles? I usually get 47-53 out of mine.

I certainly don't siphon the trub, but I try to get as much as I can by tilting the bucket a little, and stop the siphon as soon as I see stuff getting sucked in. It really isn't a big deal though, certainly not worth diluting the beer for the sake of a few bottles. I use bulk extract and usually add just a little extra to my recipes so I can top off to 5.5 gallons without throwing off my SG.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 11-02-2008, 01:16 AM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I get 2 cases and AT LEAST another 6 pack using my dip tune in bottling bucket setup...that means at least 54 12 ounce bottles.

It only leaves about 4 ounces of beer (mostly goop) behind.

SInce putting that in, I've never had to tilt the boucket ever again.

The thing is, honestly, once you have a pipeline of good beer flowing, one or two or 6 bottles less won't matter..it's better to have fewer bottles of great beer than a lot of bottles of SH@tty beer....and some recipes are going to have a LOT of trub...and some aren't...Every batch will vary. and actually, when you have several batches at different parts of the fermentation cycle going, a few ounces here and their won't really matter to you....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
HBHoss
Chappell Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Sounds like you're using 500ml or 16oz sized bottles. I usually get between 34 and 37 bottles. If I take a number of samples it adds up and I get fewer bottles.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:41 AM   #6
ajf

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If you brew exactly 5g, you will get 53 12 oz bottles if you bottle everything in the fermenter.
If you use larger bottles, you will get fewer.
If you leave any trub in the fermenter, you will get fewer.
If you use a secondary, you will get fewer because you will leave some in the primary, and some more in the secondary
If you take hydrometer samples, you will get fewer
If you don't completely drain the bottling bucket, you will get ferwe. As Hoss says, those samples can add up.
If I use 12 oz bottles, I usually get 50 - 53 bottles, but I start with more than 5g in the fermenter, don't use a secondary, usually only take 1 hydrometer sample, and tilt the bottling bucket so I can get almost everything out of it.

-a.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:29 AM   #7
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I use a mix of whatever bottles I have available, and with that I get between 32 and 44 bottles from a 5 gallon batch. It's very helpful to RDWHAHB .

Old 11-02-2008, 03:38 AM   #8
enderwig

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
The thing is, honestly, once you have a pipeline of good beer flowing, one or two or 6 bottles less won't matter..it's better to have fewer bottles of great beer than a lot of bottles of SH@tty beer....and some recipes are going to have a LOT of trub...and some aren't...Every batch will vary. and actually, when you have several batches at different parts of the fermentation cycle going, a few ounces here and their won't really matter to you....

That is the crux of the matter.

Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
TravelBastard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok, that's pretty much what I figured, thanks for all the insight.

My first batch was a British Pub Porter that I think may just have left a lot of trub in the primary. And I did leave some in the primary and the secondary so that does make sense.

I also didn't filter anything from the wort boil and just dumped the whole concoction into the primary and then topped off. Maybe this gave me extra trub? I have heard of some people straining all of that out but I left it in for my first two batches.

And I'm using pretty much any bottles available to me. They all say 12oz on them before I take the labels off but who knows. Anyways, thanks for the help, I'm not going to worry and I can't wait for the beer to finish in the next two weeks

Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #10
mttewes
Recipes 

The way I see it, if you top off to exactly 5 gallons then you're going to come up short. The amount of sediment/trub is going to displace the wort, giving you less liquid (beer). (5 gal wort - 0.5 gal sediment = 4.5 gal BEER)

Then subtract a few samples, and subtract a bit more if you use a secondary. You can quickly find yourself with > 4 gallons of beer

I rely on the hydrometer to tell me when I've hit the correct gravity and that often means topping up to 5.5 gallons. There are many factors that are going to determine your final volume but the goal is good tasting beer, even if it means only having 30 some bottles.

"When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer."

Quick Reply