Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make your beer more clear.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM   #1
LostBavarianMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default How to make your beer more clear.

I would like to know what I can do to clear up my beer.
I poured a glass of my first brew last night. Witch was an American Blonde Ale.
while it was tasty a little head need to try and not chill it so cold.
But it was no where near clear. So how can I make my beer more clear? I know it wont be as clear as commercial beer but there has to be a way.
I was told that Irish moss helps to clear it up. Any thoughts on this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Time makes a difference. How old is your beer? And we would need to know more about your process.

On a list of things worth worrying about, it's pretty close to the bottom. As you start to dial in other parts of your process, your beers will start to clear up as if by magic.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 02-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm assuming you are talking about commercial lagers when you mentioned "commercial beers".

First of all, Ales will never, and should never for that matter, be as clear as commercial lagers because they are different styles.

Ales tend to be hazy by nature, but there are a few things you can do to improve it:

- Cold break needs to occur as quickly as possible to result in clearer beer. If you are using ice bath, just make sure you have a lot of ice to keep the bath very cold, otherwise the best way to accomplish this is getting a counter-flow chiller.
- Irish moss is controversial. A recent article in BYO showed that while Irish moss helps clear the wort during the first stages of fermentation, the final carbonated beer ready to drink showed little or no improvement.
- You can also filter your beer.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

It could be a lot of things but Irish moss will help coagulate the proteins during the cold break. Put it in 15 min before the end of the boil, I use about a tsp per 5 gal. Then make sure you are cooling the wort down quickly to ensure a good cold break.

Also time is key. I always let me beers sit for 3 weeks minimum before I start thinking about bottling or kegging. The yeast need time to clean up after themselves once fermentation is complete.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
gregpio85
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier
Time makes a difference. How old is your beer? And we would need to know more about your process.

On a list of things worth worrying about, it's pretty close to the bottom. As you start to dial in other parts of your process, your beers will start to clear up as if by magic.
Agreed. Irish moss will help. So will gelatin in your fermenter I'm told, but the better your process the better the beer. I.e. Sanitation, temp control, etc.

"Vision without execution is hallucination."
-Thomas Edison

Old 02-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I use Whirlfloc in the boil and gelatin in the keg and they come out commercial-grade clear. You can also use gelatin in the fermenter if you don't keg. Search the forum for Gelatin finings.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #7
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

There's a couple of different things to do.

1. Use a teaspoon of irish moss or a whirfloc tablet towards the end of your boil.
2. Cool down the beer as quickly as possible after the boil. The faster you do the cool down, the more proteins you can get to fall out of suspension. The slower, the more chill haze.
3. Give it plenty of time to clarify in the bucket/carboy and bottle condition. The longer it sits, the more proteins and yeast will fall out of suspension.
4. Cold crash. Even if you don't want to drink the beer at fridge temps, keep the beer in the fridge for a few days. That will get even more proteins out of suspension.

Some people swear by adding gelatin, but I've never done it, and there seems to be a little dispute as to what this might do if you are not force carbing.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #8
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Was this first glass from a bottle or a keg? The first pour from a keg is typically hazy.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
sensibull
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I recently started using gelatin in my beer, a few days after cold crashing the keg (but before carbonating). I haven't taken a great picture yet, but my beers have turning out amazingly clear. The instructions I follow are here, only I'd recommend starting with tepid water as warm water started the coagulation process too soon.

To clarify, the gelatin used is plain, unflavored Knox, available in every grocery store. I also use Whirlfloc during the last 15 min. of the boil and always cold crash before serving.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
Indyking
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Well, forgot to mention cold conditioning, It will help for sure.

Regarding Irish moss, like I said, the results of the BYO magazine a couple of issues ago showed it has little to no effect in the finished conditioned beer. I personally found it was a waste of time and money and was glad when the article came out with the results of the experiment.

Quick Reply