Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial (updated)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #21
Susurro
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm giving a shot to my first starter next week. I'll have to print this out and tape it to the wall behind my stir plate. Even I can follow those directions! Excellent work.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 11:13 PM   #22
Sulli
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGAC View Post
Hey, +1 for the great comic!

It would be really awesome to see more of these, but dealing with different aspects of brewing. Would be the best part of the Sunday comics, IMO.
Ideas and suggestions welcomed. I'd be happy to take a stab at 'em.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:34 PM   #23
chetduggan
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yep!!!

Old 07-11-2012, 02:19 AM   #24
TheGreatReverend
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Nice graphic! I have a question about boiling for five minutes, though. I thought the purpose of boiling was to make sure there isn't any contamination. I know that water only needs to reach a boil to be sanitized because a few seconds at 85°C will kill microbes, so by the time it's at a boil everything is dead. Question time, so is the longer boil time because of the DME added? Is there something that the extra boil does to the wort that makes better for the yeast?
Here's my source for the temps killing pathogens.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:40 AM   #25
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the pictorial. I do have a couple questions though. I thought I've read that you generally want at least a 1L starter. Does that mean the finished product going into the flask should be 1L? So if I understand it correctly based on the picture, to get a 1L starter I would add 100 grams of DME? I just made a starter tonight and used about 1/2 cup of DME, which came out to around 70 grams. So I guess I only made a 700 ml starter.

Also, what is the point of boiling for 5 minutes? I would assume that it is to sterilize everything, but isn't sterilization temps around 165? I would assume once you reach a boil then it has been above sterilization temps for a good 5-10 minutes already. Or am I off in my temps and times?

edit: sorry, didn't realize the post above mine asked the same question.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #26
galambos
Recipes 

+1 on stepping up!

Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #27
Sulli
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatReverend View Post
Nice graphic! I have a question about boiling for five minutes, though. I thought the purpose of boiling was to make sure there isn't any contamination. I know that water only needs to reach a boil to be sanitized because a few seconds at 85°C will kill microbes, so by the time it's at a boil everything is dead. Question time, so is the longer boil time because of the DME added? Is there something that the extra boil does to the wort that makes better for the yeast?
Here's my source for the temps killing pathogens.
My only reason for giving 5 minutes on the boil, is that I'm a little OCD.

I read your link, and did a little more digging and, honestly, I would feel okay with a 1 minute boil.

In fact this would be better, because it would help keep the post boil gravity closer to the pre boil gravity.

Thanks for the input, I'll edit the pictorial to reflect this.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #28
Sulli
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
Thanks for the pictorial. I do have a couple questions though. I thought I've read that you generally want at least a 1L starter. Does that mean the finished product going into the flask should be 1L? So if I understand it correctly based on the picture, to get a 1L starter I would add 100 grams of DME? I just made a starter tonight and used about 1/2 cup of DME, which came out to around 70 grams. So I guess I only made a 700 ml starter.
A 1:10 ratio of DME to water will give you about a 1.038 gravity starter.

So 1000ml of water gets 100g DME; but since you are adding the DME to the water, the DME displaces some of the wort so the final volume ends up being more like 1100 or 1200ml, but it's still considered a 1000ml starter because that's the volume of water you started with.

Sorry if I'm not making any sense. I've had a couple.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
pjd
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulli View Post
Ideas and suggestions welcomed. I'd be happy to take a stab at 'em.
How about a pictorial on culturing yeast from a brew you want to clone, for instance, a Chimay?
Thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 12:54 PM   #30
batsnapper
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Two questions. First, in panel 6 it says ferment at room temp for 24 hours, but the flask is on a warming plate. I've seen other instructions using some type of plate under the flask. Can you please explain this?

Second, a fellow brewer gave me what I would call yeast cake from previous brews; the dregs from the primary I assume. How do you go about making a yeast starter from this? I understand that you can only do this for a limited number of generations, but I believe what he gave me is first generation.

Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply