Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #361
itsme_timd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I've searched around some and haven't found a definitive answer on this... is the only purpose in making a yeast starter to increase the cell count or are their other benefits as well?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #362
SFBuff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd
I've searched around some and haven't found a definitive answer on this... is the only purpose in making a yeast starter to increase the cell count or are their other benefits as well?
It can also be used to verify the health/validity of the yeast - especially if it is old. It it does take off in the starter then you know it isn't good.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #363
itsme_timd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBuff View Post
It can also be used to verify the health/validity of the yeast - especially if it is old. It it does take off in the starter then you know it isn't good.
Thanks. I'm assuming that should read "doesn't take off in the starter", will let you know it's no good.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:23 AM   #364
SFBuff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd

Thanks. I'm assuming that should read "doesn't take off in the starter", will let you know it's no good.
Correct - if it doesn't react to the starter wort you've got issues.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #365
justindustrial
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

[QUOTE=Desert_Sky;798703]or if aluminum foil isnt available, Sponge Bob dixie cups work too

Specifically the Spongebob ones.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #366
brewESQ
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Newbie Question for the Yeast Starter Thread:

Can I use extra pre-boiled wort (i.e., liter or so out of the last bit of lautering) to use with the yeast?

I was thinking about just boiling the wort for 20 minutes, maybe even with a little hops, to add to the yeast. Good idea? Bad idea?

Old 06-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #367
DanPoch
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewESQ View Post
Newbie Question for the Yeast Starter Thread:

Can I use extra pre-boiled wort (i.e., liter or so out of the last bit of lautering) to use with the yeast?
For harvesting the yeast you don't want any sugars in there, just water. The idea is to keep the little guys dormant until you are ready to wake them up and put them to work again.

"I'd rather be happy than right, any day."

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #368
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathBrewer View Post
no matter what...the starter will ensure your yeast is viable, get it active and ready to pitch, and it's fun too

i've been using a lot of dry yeast lately and reused quite a few yeast cakes...haven't made a starter in some time.
Do you mean that you pitch from slur?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #369
Elysium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp69_2001 View Post
I usually do mine about 7 days before I plan to brew. After about 5 days I throw it in the fridge. When I start brewing I decant most of the beer off the top of it and swirl around the rest until all the yeast are into suspension. Let it rest and come to room temp for the next 3 hours while I brew, put them back into suspension and pitch those little bastards into your wort like it's 18 years old ready to go out into the world and do what it's made for. I also can my starters. I'll be posting a how-to next time I do it. It's great.
Hi there

I'd like to see that post you are talking about in your comment. Did you eventually create it?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #370
dougmaher434
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I will never say that anyone is doing anything wrong in regards to their yeast starters. I just want to inform everyone how I have done it on my last batch of an IPA. I used a vial of San Diego Super Yeast that was past the expiration. I used 150 grams of DME for my starter and did 1500 mL. The beer turned out really great. I work at a pretty up an coming brewery. My brew master always tells me the two easiest things to fix, in brewing, are under-pitching and oxygenation of your wort. His advice was to do a 2000mL. starter and to invest in an air stone for oxygenation. Mentioned it was the easiest fix to many of your homebrew issues. Over-pitch. Coming from a guy that started as a homebrewer and did it for 18 years before he became pro, his information is invaluable and I trust it tremendously. Especially after tasting the beers he makes that are shocking the nation.

Quick Reply