Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #311
Gibson40
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Great information! Thanks! I have one question. I have some "washed yeast" and I want to make it into a 2L starter. Could I not just make a large wort (8 cups water, 2 cups DME), add the washed yeast and put on a stir plate for 12 hrs? Is it necessery to step it up gradually?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #312
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson40 View Post
Great information! Thanks! I have one question. I have some "washed yeast" and I want to make it into a 2L starter. Could I not just make a large wort (8 cups water, 2 cups DME), add the washed yeast and put on a stir plate for 12 hrs? Is it necessery to step it up gradually?
You need to get an idea for how much yeast you actually have. Has to do with how thick the slurry is, how much is non-yeast (ie. trub, hops, etc.) and how long since it was harvested. Once you have a cell count, you can determine what starter size you need for the beer you're planning.

There's really no hard-fast rule of "any harvested yeast just needs a X-liter starter and it's golden!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #313
Gibson40
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
You need to get an idea for how much yeast you actually have. Has to do with how thick the slurry is, how much is non-yeast (ie. trub, hops, etc.) and how long since it was harvested. Once you have a cell count, you can determine what starter size you need for the beer you're planning.

There's really no hard-fast rule of "any harvested yeast just needs a X-liter starter and it's golden!"
I harvested the yeast on Oct. 21. I have a thin layer of yeast on the bottom of a pint jar sittin in the fridge. Is there a formula to estimate the number of yeast cells I have. Mr. Malty gives me a number but I have no idea how to figure out what I have. I want to use it in a brew that will have a OG of 1.074. So I will need a pretty big starter. So... do I need to step it up gradually or can I just make a larger wort starter?

Old 12-07-2012, 06:10 PM   #314
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson40 View Post
I harvested the yeast on Oct. 21. I have a thin layer of yeast on the bottom of a pint jar sittin in the fridge. Is there a formula to estimate the number of yeast cells I have. Mr. Malty gives me a number but I have no idea how to figure out what I have. I want to use it in a brew that will have a OG of 1.074. So I will need a pretty big starter. So... do I need to step it up gradually or can I just make a larger wort starter?
When I enter in your info under "Repitching from Slurry" in MrM it says you need 646ML of yeast. I'm guessing you don't have that many (would be nearly an entire pint-jar.

The math works out to say that you have 0.41b cells per ML of yeast in the jar right now. How many ML of yeast is in there? 100? That would mean just 41b cells are viable. Going to yeastcals to determine starter size, enter in 41, 100% viability, you can make a huge 4L starter, or you can step it up by making a 1L starter, ferment, decant, then pitch that into another 1L starter, ferment and you'll have enough.

This is with a stir-plate. If you aren't using one, you'll need about 1.5L and 1.5L to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 12-08-2012, 04:29 AM   #315
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Looking at making a starter for an export stout this weekend. Any downside to just making the starter in my primary vessel and adding the wort right onto that?

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #316
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 248 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipman View Post
Looking at making a starter for an export stout this weekend. Any downside to just making the starter in my primary vessel and adding the wort right onto that?
Starters are usually in the 1-4L range which would barely cover the bottom of a fermentor...probably not ideal. While you don't have to, most folks decant off the starter "beer" since it is not an ideal product.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 AM   #317
Chipman
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Hmmm hadn't considered that one. I'll be fermenting in a pin lock corny keg so the bottom isn't terribly huge, but, it'll be easy enough to make it in something else. Thanks for the quick reply!

Cooking with beer? Been doing it for years.
Add it to the food? I'll have to try it sometime.

He who has tasted sailing will walk the earth with his head turned into the wind.

Old 12-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #318
Gibson40
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
When I enter in your info under "Repitching from Slurry" in MrM it says you need 646ML of yeast. I'm guessing you don't have that many (would be nearly an entire pint-jar.

The math works out to say that you have 0.41b cells per ML of yeast in the jar right now. How many ML of yeast is in there? 100? That would mean just 41b cells are viable. Going to yeastcals to determine starter size, enter in 41, 100% viability, you can make a huge 4L starter, or you can step it up by making a 1L starter, ferment, decant, then pitch that into another 1L starter, ferment and you'll have enough.

This is with a stir-plate. If you aren't using one, you'll need about 1.5L and 1.5L to get there.
Thanks for the info! Stepped it up once already. I guess I'll repeat the process 3 more times.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #319
RIC0
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 17

So how much yeast is being pitches in this starter??

States dme and water amount but syas nothing about how much yeast. And is this yeast from the pack that is to be used with the batch your making?

*** Possum Trot Brewery ***

Beer Primary - Butthead Belgian
Beer Secondary - Belgian Tripel

Bottled - Big Breakfast Stout - Belgian IPA - Butthead Belgian White - Redneck Red - Moose Drool - Dirty Dubbel

Mead Primary - Nuttin
Bottled - Strawberry Trainwreck - Orange Spice - Blueberry Trainwreck

Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #320
Klickmania
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You will use the whole vial if you're using White Labs or the whole Smack Pack if using Wyeast. And yes, pick the strain you want because you will pitch that yeast (after its done propagating) into your wort. You're basically aiming to kick start the yeast so it's healthier and will ferment quicker. It's not as complicated as some people make it out to be.

Quick Reply