Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2012, 05:46 PM   #291
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Just used this tutorial the other night to make starters from harvested yeast. I had two jars of washed WLP001 that were split from a cake used to ferment a very low gravity lawnmower beer. The harvest was only 2-3 days old, but I was making a double batch of 1.074 IIPA.

I boiled 0.2lb. of DME in a quart of water for 15 minutes or so, then cooled to ~72* (temp yeast was warmed to after sitting out for a few hours) and decanted and pitched slurry. Next morning I had stuff running down the sides and lots of visible activity despite no stir-bar, etc. Of course, these were fresh slurries.

Pitched each into ~4g of 1.074 wort about 16 hours after starters were made and they started immediately chugging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #292
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just tried this but I think messed up a little.

I just took 900ml of water and boiled that with 1/2 cup of some Pilser Light DME for about 12 mintues (wasn't a roaring boil because I was getting some boil over issues).
Then I cooled it down to about 78.
When I opened my white labs yeast it sorta popped and yeast went all over (but still most of it was left in the tube,at least 80% of it).
I pitched it into my 1/2 gallon carboy with the mixture.

I think I should have measured and marked 1000ml on the carboy before starting so as to be able to "top it off to the correct level".

And If I was expecting the pop maybe I would not have spilled the yeast.

This is my first brew and first time pitching yeast etc. I didn't understand all the calculations on the first page to figure out how much starter I need. The beers OG is O.G. = 1.050 and I'm going to ad an alcohol boost to it as well so i don'thave the exact number.

Any advice? I plan to brew my first batch of beer this Saterday,and it is thursday morning about 1:45am now.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:58 PM   #293
tre9er
Recipes 

Wait for it to ferment out (everything settles to bottom, clear beer on top) then throw it in the fridge. On Saturday set the yeast out plenty early (~5-6 hours before you'll be done brewing) and let it warm to room temp, then decant off the top liquid and pour the bottom "stuff" into your fermenter when it's time to pitch yeast.

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #294
Justintoxicated
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Wait for it to ferment out (everything settles to bottom, clear beer on top) then throw it in the fridge. On Saturday set the yeast out plenty early (~5-6 hours before you'll be done brewing) and let it warm to room temp, then decant off the top liquid and pour the bottom "stuff" into your fermenter when it's time to pitch yeast.
There is no action in the starter yet, however my 5 gallons apfelwein that I just dumped dry yeast into after making this starter for Saterdays beer is taking of. I'm thinking something is wrong.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #295
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Freaking fruit flies got into my starter + no lhbs open on Sundays = no brewing today. Man I hate fruit flies.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #296
jetmac
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer View Post
Freaking fruit flies got into my starter + no lhbs open on Sundays = no brewing today. Man I hate fruit flies.
How is that possible?

Wayne Gretzky-"100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in

Revvy>>You shouldn't worry about ANYTHING, you didn't hurt the yeast, they know what they need to do, they want to eat all that sugar they are swimming around in. They want to pee alcohol and fart co2, it's their nature.

Bobby_M>>I flood the keg with CO2 for one minute with the lid off, rack the beer in to the bottom gently, seal it, flood it, vent it. If there's still O2 in there after that, F it.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #297
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Because I used foil so they just went right underneath it.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #298
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincybrewer
Because I used foil so they just went right underneath it.
If it's an ongoing issue, use an air lock

Quote:

Old 07-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #299
cincybrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I was debating using an airlock out of fear for fruit flies but thought with the foil and co2 escaping they wouldn't be interested. It lasted over night but just as I was going to put it in the fridge, two got in. I'll have to use an air lock next time.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:30 AM   #300
crbrown25
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Having learned a lot while reading this thread over the past week, i felt obliged to mention that i'm currently making my 1st starter (1L). I mixed 3.3 oz (by weight) light DME with 1200 ml (pre-boil) water. I boiled for 15 mins and the pot is sitting in an ice bath as i type. Many thanks to Death Brewer for the post and everybody else who chimed in along the way. I'm looking forward to tasting the difference in quality that a starter provides.

Fermenting:
On Tap: Nothing
Bottled: East Riding of Yorkshire Northern English Brown Ale, Brown House Honey Porter, EdWort's Apfelwein, 1876 IPA

Quick Reply