Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2011, 12:51 AM   #221
MikeyLXT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I made a starter last night and put on the air lock. I filled the air lock to high and i dont think it was able to bubble. I have been swirling it as much as i can.

Is the yeast ok even if it wasnt able to burp out the CO2? I assume it just leaked out of the jar in other spots as the seal was improvised ant not 100% tight.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2011, 04:58 AM   #222
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyLXT
I made a starter last night and put on the air lock. I filled the air lock to high and i dont think it was able to bubble. I have been swirling it as much as i can.

Is the yeast ok even if it wasnt able to burp out the CO2? I assume it just leaked out of the jar in other spots as the seal was improvised ant not 100% tight.
No airlock. Use sanitized foil or foam stopper.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM   #223
koerd85
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzengiggle
Mr Malty - everything you need to know about starters.
i need that recepie!!

Old 08-06-2011, 07:47 PM   #224
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang Glider View Post
Not a fan of the mrmalty site - I'm sure I'll be drawn & quartered, but 3.6L is like a GALLON - I'm not adding a gallon of yeast to 5 gallons of wort.
(sometimes with the stir bar )
A lot of misinformation in this thread and misunderstanding on how to use the Mr. Malty calculator, and the variables/parameters in making a starter.

I think it's already been mentioned that there are some beer style that you want to "underpitch" a bit (e.g. hefe), so as to accentuate the yeast flavor production. BUT the 3.6L starter for a 1.072 OG mentioned above is for a simple set-and-forget starter. I don't think anyone taking the time to make a starter would want to settle for this method. Just intermediate shaking reduces the amount dramatically to 2L--continuous aeration even less. If you use a stir plate, the volume is reduced to just over 1L.

Reading the articles "Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters" and "Proper Yeast Pitching Rates" on the Mr. Malty site could replace this thread almost entirely. Also, the calculator is a tool for suggested pitching rates. Reading the articles educating yourself on how to better appropriate the suggestion offered will go a long way.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #225
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber

Just intermediate shaking reduces the amount dramatically to 2L--continuous aeration even less. If you use a stir plate, the volume is reduced to just over 1L.
So does this mean, since there is a higher concentration of yeast we can use smaller starters?

Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #226
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapbrew13 View Post
So does this mean, since there is a higher concentration of yeast we can use smaller starters?
Yes. The goal is yeast count (population), not starter volume. The various methods produce different results in yeast propagation. Different environmental variables affect the extent of propagation. Leaving the yeast to themselves, the growth phase will end much sooner (the yeast growth is dependant upon wort volume) and the yeast will begin to ferment the starter (i.e. convert sugar to alchohol). With aggitation (intermediate shaking or stir plate), the yeast will remain in their growth phase longer, because 1) the removal of co2, which inhibits yeast growth; 2) the introduction of more o2, which contributes to yeast growth; 3) continous suspension/contact with the wort for greater efficiency in yeast growth.

DISCLAIMER: This response is based on my recollection (or lack of). Read the articles. Also, there are some excellent studies out of UC Davis, but can't recall where to find them at the moment.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #227
kapbrew13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Thanks that was what I was thinking. Clarification is always nice.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #228
DawgBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Whoah! Just wanted to let everyone in on my starter experience. I poured the sediment from 4 bottles of Bell's Pale Ale into some starter wort in one of the small mason jars. A few days later I cold crashed and decanted the first round and pitched the leftovers into a larger mason jar. Today I cold crashed and pitched all the slurry into a 1.89 liter sanitized juice bottle. The thing is going crazy now! Krausen and all. I'm excited about pitching this stuff into my Two Hearted clone tomorrow.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:47 AM   #229
Dan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1929 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 2752

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBrewer View Post
Whoah! Just wanted to let everyone in on my starter experience. I poured the sediment from 4 bottles of Bell's Pale Ale into some starter wort in one of the small mason jars. A few days later I cold crashed and decanted the first round and pitched the leftovers into a larger mason jar. Today I cold crashed and pitched all the slurry into a 1.89 liter sanitized juice bottle. The thing is going crazy now! Krausen and all. I'm excited about pitching this stuff into my Two Hearted clone tomorrow.
Very nice. You let the yeasties be the happy little reproductive guys nature intended them to be and they flourished in a healthy environment. Good lesson to us all

Old 08-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #230
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBrewer View Post

bells pale ale bottles? Do you mean you now have the same yeast bells used in that pale ale? That is really cool if thats what you meant.

Quick Reply