The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 PM   #181
pola0502ds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question about making a yeast starter. I made one last week and poured the hot liquid I just boiled in a growler and it cracked the glass. Can someone explain to me how you go about making your starter? Do you boil it and cool it down in the pot you just boiled it in? Or do you transfer after it just got done boiling into the vessel it will ferment in and then cool it down? Whats the best way to cool something this small down?

I thought you would want to cool it down in the vessel it will ferment in that way when you transfer it while it's still hot it will kill any bacteria that is still in the vessel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #182
althea
Recipes 

I would go back and review the original post of this thread. It clearly shows (with pictures) what to do.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:27 PM   #183
ACESFULL
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the 1st grade pics in the OP on how to do this... Awesome!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #184
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So how do you clean yeast if you want to reuse it

Old 07-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #185
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a question. I created a yeast starter a few minutes ago and it is on the stir plate now.

I will be brewing on Saturday sometime so it will be in about 30 - 35 hours. I know that is a bit longer than the 18 - 24 hrs that people say, but this is the only time I will have to do it today.

Should I leave it on the stir plate until pitching time? or is there something else I need to do with it after it has finished fermenting?

On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Old 07-01-2011, 01:31 PM   #186
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by agodfrey11 View Post
I have a question. I created a yeast starter a few minutes ago and it is on the stir plate now.

I will be brewing on Saturday sometime so it will be in about 30 - 35 hours. I know that is a bit longer than the 18 - 24 hrs that people say, but this is the only time I will have to do it today.

Should I leave it on the stir plate until pitching time? or is there something else I need to do with it after it has finished fermenting?
I would let the starter wort completly ferment out regardless of suggested times 18-24 is a guidline not an absolute truth. After completion if time allows I would cold crash the starter in the refrigerator until brewday this allows the yeast to drop out of suspension so you can decant the starter wort ( I do not like to pitch the whole contents). Just remember if you cold crash to allow the starter to warm to room temp before pitching you don't want to shock your yeast. hope this helps.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Old 07-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #187
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds
So how do you clean yeast if you want to reuse it
That's a whole 'nother thread.

Do a search for "Yeast Washing Illustrated"

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 07-02-2011, 04:32 AM   #188
agodfrey11
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aschecte View Post
I would let the starter wort completly ferment out regardless of suggested times 18-24 is a guidline not an absolute truth. After completion if time allows I would cold crash the starter in the refrigerator until brewday this allows the yeast to drop out of suspension so you can decant the starter wort ( I do not like to pitch the whole contents). Just remember if you cold crash to allow the starter to warm to room temp before pitching you don't want to shock your yeast. hope this helps.
Thanks. I think Ill let it keep going on stir plate tonight, and wake up pretty early to put it in the fridge.

Ill then let it warm up, then pitch.

Thanks for the advice.
On Deck: Rye IPA, Jamil's British Bitter, Jamil's 60 Shilling

Old 07-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #189
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I got a question for you....

I've heard several times that Krausen is not a measure of yeast activity, that different strains will produce large amounts of foam, while others will produce hardly any.

Also, one of the purposes of making a starter is to make sure that the yeast is good, and you're not pitching a batch that will not grow.

So my question is, how do you know that the yeast is good? I have a starter, it's been almost 24 hrs, and there's very little to no foam on top. I'm sure it's ok, the production date tells me it was packaged less than a month ago, but I was just curious what the telling signs are.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #190
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnright00 View Post
I got a question for you....

I've heard several times that Krausen is not a measure of yeast activity, that different strains will produce large amounts of foam, while others will produce hardly any.

Also, one of the purposes of making a starter is to make sure that the yeast is good, and you're not pitching a batch that will not grow.

So my question is, how do you know that the yeast is good? I have a starter, it's been almost 24 hrs, and there's very little to no foam on top. I'm sure it's ok, the production date tells me it was packaged less than a month ago, but I was just curious what the telling signs are.
That's a great question.... IMHO I guess there has to be some activity even when I used Ec-1118 I had some activity and this yeast is known for low krausen but it did have the ferm bubbles going on. #2 you should end up with more yeast ( visibly) and #3 check your gravity if you started with 1.040ish and it didn't move your yeast is bad you should have a lower fg.
Secondary-Burley whiner American barleywine
Primary-A dark German lager or a Hoppy Munich Helles

Last edited by Aschecte; 07-03-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply