Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #141
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Ok, I did a little more searching and research... and I made a starter. Keeping fingers crossed it will be ready Tues. Otherwise, Wed is its deadline!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #142
antidentite
Recipes 

I'm brewing a Pliny the Elder Clone this Friday and have two vials of White Labs 001 yeast for pitching.

Should I still make a starter? If so, what's the recommended amount of DME I need to make a starter for two vials of 001?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:02 PM   #143
Gropo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by antidentite View Post
I'm brewing a Pliny the Elder Clone this Friday and have two vials of White Labs 001 yeast for pitching.

Should I still make a starter? If so, what's the recommended amount of DME I need to make a starter for two vials of 001?
It certainly wouldn't hurt. I would think that a 750ml to 1000ml starter with about 2/3 or so cups of DME should work great. Somebody else will probably chime in with a more optimal starter, but SOME starter will be better than NO starter.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #144
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I probably differ than most on this board about starters. I almost always make them, but never use more than one smack pack/vial in the process. I use a 4:1 ratio of water to DME. So a 1 liter(4 cups) starter would get 1 cup of DME. I let that go for a few days, cold crash, then decant and step it up with another starter if I'm going over a 1.080 OG. If not, I just use it.

I'm a cheap bastard, and if I go thru the trouble of making a starter, I don't see it as just proving my yeast as viable...I'm making more yeast.

But...that's probably an unpopular stance.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #145
maltoftheearth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I prepared a starter for a Munich Helles based on this thread. I did not decant the wort from the yeast starter prior to pitching into my lager.

Today I read this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/lager-starter-231069/

and it indicates I should decant the wort and just add the cake at the bottom.

Did I mess up my lager?

Should I be decanting the liquid from my starter?

Kegged (as of 5/14): Rye IPA, Honey Sage Ale, Belgian Golden Strong, California Common, Bavarian Style Lager, Weizen, Coffee Stout

Long range forecast: Douze clone, Gruit

Old 03-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #146
supermoth
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Since I didn't see this question get picked up, I want to paraphrase Stuntman's question from page 5. What's preferable: making a starter large enough to save and spread over several batches, or washing yeast after the ferment? Or does this fall under the category of "equal but different"?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #147
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

maltoftheearth: no worries. It'll be fine. You are just adding a little bit of beer into your soon-to-be beer. It'll ferment and taste great, so don't worry. It is still a good idea to decant off most of the starter wort beer and then swirl the cake at the bottom before pitching, but that is really only to keep your recipe and finished product as precise and predictable as possible, but it will not "hurt" your beer in any way.

Supermoth: Personally, I don't care to go to all of the trouble of making some giant starter and then trying to divide it up (and oxygenate it in the process) to save for multiple batches. The way I see it, when you make a 5gal batch of beer, you have also just made a giant starter, so just wash your yeast. It's not the best idea to wash after every batch because some brews are not conducive to leaving behind healthy yeast, namely really high alcohol beers and really hoppy beers. Hop oils coat the yeast cells, so unless you plan on doing an acid wash on the yeast, just harvest from your next less hoppy brew. High alcohol levels pretty much just eff your yeast over, then you are dealing with a lot more dead or mutated yeast, so just harvest from your next session beer.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #148
Aschecte
Brewtus Maximus
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 39

ok here's a big newbie question but should I make a starter for dry yeast also or only liquid ?

Old 03-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #149
BigJerk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This thread is on of the reasons I love this site, it makes every new thing I want to try informative and easy!

Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 PM   #150
monk420
Recipes 

i do all the same but i just leave the lid on tight then crack it just a lil to let the co2 ecscape never had any problems

Bottled irish blonde; cream ale
On deck german alt; the innkeeper

Quick Reply