Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 01:57 AM   #131
hogie1980
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I made my first starter yesterday before seeing this thread. My beer is a 1.073 6 gallon batch, so I made a 1.5L starter in a growler to be safe.

Anyway, I have been intermittently shaking it when I think of it and just a few minutes ago, I obviously shook it too hard because a huge blast of liquid came shooting out the airlock and sprayed a big spot on my ceiling!! What a shock!! Didn't make a big mess and fortunately SWMBO is away right now and missed the chaos...

I've since swapped the airlock for a sanitized piece of foil... And I won't shake so hard next time...

Has that ever happened to anyone else?

I also spilled most of my tincture of iodine on to the dining room table earlier so needless to say, I've had better nights.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #132
chelero
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great Thread, I have a question about the size of the vessel for the starter. I don't have access to a flask or 1/2 gal growler. Is a 1 gal glass jug to large/too much headspace for a 1-2 liter starter? what about a new 2 liter plastic water bottle? thanks for your help

Old 02-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #133
TheSeether
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie1980 View Post
I've since swapped the airlock for a sanitized piece of foil... And I won't shake so hard next time...

Has that ever happened to anyone else?
Doesn't happen to me because I wouldn't airlock a starter vessel. Yes, you want CO2 to get out and you want to keep contamination from getting in but you also want oxygenated air to filter in to oxygenate the wort. Foil works for this purpose. You can also use polyfill or those foam stoppers HBSes will sell you.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:47 PM   #134
VAShooter
Recipes 

Friday, I made a starter using White Labs London Ale and pitched it about 32 hours later. I used a mason jar (sanitized) and covered tightly with cling wrap. Gave it a swirl every couple hours....

I never saw a krausen fomr but I could see the yeast settling (chunks and sediment) in the bottom of the jar. Should I have seen a krausen form or was the sediment that formed enough to tell me that my yeast was ok and active?

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer

Old 02-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #135
Gropo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAShooter View Post
Friday, I made a starter using White Labs London Ale and pitched it about 32 hours later. I used a mason jar (sanitized) and covered tightly with cling wrap. Gave it a swirl every couple hours....

I never saw a krausen fomr but I could see the yeast settling (chunks and sediment) in the bottom of the jar. Should I have seen a krausen form or was the sediment that formed enough to tell me that my yeast was ok and active?
A white layer of yeast sediment in the bottom of the starter is a good visual indication that things are "A-OK"

Old 02-20-2011, 06:09 PM   #136
VAShooter
Recipes 

Perfect! That's what I had going on. However, it's been 14 hours and no activity in the airlock yet. Not sweating it yet though.

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer

Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #137
BrettV
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've never seen krausen on a starter. It'll foam a little when I swirl it, but that's it. And 14 hours without activity is not cause for concern. Sometimes it takes a little longer.

Primary: Big Bear IPA, Petits Jour de Chien Saison
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simcoe Stupid) Pale Ale, Little Bear Kolsch
Planning: RyePA, Nutella Stout

Old 03-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #138
BigJoeBrews
Recipes 

Made my first starter today, it was very easy. I used some DME, White labs WLP001, and my home made stir plate! My question is, can I take a little out, step that little bit up to 500mls or so. In a sense make another starter, let it decant (I think that's the word I want) and pour off the top and store that concentrated yeast in my WLP vial and be able to store it in the fridge? Then I should have my own little supply of WLP001? If so do I have to stabilize it or something? should I put nutrient in there with it? Any ideas how long it might last?
Isn't this kind of what the big breweries do when the have a proprietary yeast?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:43 AM   #139
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Very interesting thread! I do have a question though. It seems as though most of this has applied to ales. Does it also apply to lagers? What about a California Common. I've got White Labs SF Lager yeast. I'll be doing a half-batch BIAB. Guy at the LHS said I could just pitch the vial since I'll be doing a half-batch. Another guy said to make a starter even for a half-batch. I wouldn't mind making a starter, but I like the idea of just pitching the WL vial. What to do??

Old 03-06-2011, 01:55 AM   #140
VTBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJoeBrews View Post
Made my first starter today, it was very easy. I used some DME, White labs WLP001, and my home made stir plate! My question is, can I take a little out, step that little bit up to 500mls or so. In a sense make another starter, let it decant (I think that's the word I want) and pour off the top and store that concentrated yeast in my WLP vial and be able to store it in the fridge? Then I should have my own little supply of WLP001? If so do I have to stabilize it or something? should I put nutrient in there with it? Any ideas how long it might last?
Isn't this kind of what the big breweries do when the have a proprietary yeast?

You're probably better off washing the yeast. There's a sticky in the yeast forum.

Recipes And Blogs: ClubHomeBrew

Quick Reply