Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a yeast starter - Pictorial

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #101
tmurph6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

May be a dumb question, but when making a yeast starter is it necessary to use a stainless steel pot, or can one use an anodized aluminum pot which is more common in cooking?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #102
tedclev
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It doesn't really matter what you use; you're just boiling a little water and DME for a short period. I personally never really like using aluminum, but that's just because I'm paranoid about the whole connection between aluminum and alzheimer's. But use whatever you want as long as it's clean.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #103
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedclev View Post
I know I'm kicking up a dead thread here, but I am curious about stepping up a starter. DB mentioned waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay earlier that he went from a 1L to a 5 gal starter. What are the "rules" governing stepping up starters? What is the process? Thanks.
Missed this somehow. There really are no rules. You're basically making a batch of beer and reusing the yeast. Generally, we will make a 2L starter and then pitch that in the 5 gallons and then pitch that in a much larger batch. We have simply used the yeast from a 5 gallon batch, as well.

And hey! This thread isn't dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gropo View Post
a 5 gallon starter????? isn't that called a batch of beer??
Holy crap...are you planning on brewing 80 gallons of beer?
Well, last time it was 70 gallons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gropo View Post
A 700ml starter will work beautifully for a 5 gallon batch of beer. I'm sure others will say that it it may be sub-optimal, but with a 700ml starter you should have a lag time of about 3 - 8 hours.
This is true for 90% of beers, but I would recommend a bigger starter for very large beers, such as imperial stouts or belgian strong ales. Also, if you are using a yeast that falls out easily, such as some of the english strains, it is good to have a healthy pitch so it doesn't fall out TOO early.

No matter what, more yeast will generally be a good thing, ensuring that there is no stress during fermentation and resulting in a cleaner, tastier product. Overpitching is a rather difficult thing to do.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 12-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #104
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have a question about DMS with starters. Can I boil and cool with the lid on? Or do I need to worry about DMS, and boil and let it cool without a lid? My thought process is that DME may already have DMS driven off and even if there were some in there, it might not be enough to make a difference in the final beer.

Thanks

Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 AM   #105
ksbrain
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Well I decided to just assume I did have to worry about DMS. Didn't cover the boil, until towards the end, when I half covered it to sanitize the lid, which I used half covering the pot while it cooled old school style in the sink. All in all an hour for two quarts of starter, one for each beer to be brewed Monday.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:50 AM   #106
labelgique
Recipes 

I read somewhere that if your starter is stored in the fridge, the morning of the brew you can decant it, add a bit more fresh wort and let it sit for the day, just to get the yeast going before you pitch. Any thoughts on this? How much new wort would you use (if you had a 2L batch of starter, say).

Old 01-13-2011, 01:59 AM   #107
triangulum33
Whenever it feels right!

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I'm still a rookie, but I made a 3L starter for a Tripel, let it ferment for a couple days, stuck it in the fridge for a week. Then on brew day, poured off almost all the beer (the yeast was all settled out), let it come to room temp, shook it up and pitched it.
I saw activity 4 hrs later!

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Meine Keezer

Old 01-15-2011, 07:05 PM   #108
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by labelgique View Post
I read somewhere that if your starter is stored in the fridge, the morning of the brew you can decant it, add a bit more fresh wort and let it sit for the day, just to get the yeast going before you pitch. Any thoughts on this? How much new wort would you use (if you had a 2L batch of starter, say).
You could do this. A lot of people just decant and leave a little liquid behind to mix up the yeast and don't bother with extra wort.

If you are adding extra wort, I would add a small amount (say 100 mL) of wort at around 1.050 specific gravity.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 01-20-2011, 02:35 AM   #109
tevbax82
Recipes 

So, I read all 11 pages, and am thoroughly confused. Really, up to 3 liters of yeast starter in a 5 gal batch? This is where I start to get confused. We have dry yeast and smackpacks/whitelabs, all rated to go into a 5 gallon batch up to what... 1.055? So, if this little amount of yeast can do the job... why are we using so much more?

Second--- Have started doing yeast starters. Added 1/2 cup DME to 750ml water, boil, cool, pitch yeast into 1000ml flask. So, I want to grow more yeast and increase the size. I simply "build" another dme/water/boil/add to flask after decanting?

Any help here would be appreciated. Also, how much yeast would you pitch at a 1.092 OG delirium.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 AM   #110
AR-Josh
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was just wondering about this topic. So I'm going to go a head and TAG it now so I can read it later.

Quick Reply