Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a traditional Welsh Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #11
badlee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 15

you could try drinking a Shropshire ale and then taking all of the taste away. That would leave you with an aproximation of the only Welsh beer I have ever had, and that's living next door to Wales for 2/3 of my life

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #12
caseyprice
Recipes 

I have not brewed this yet, but hope to soon. I did learn a few things about brewing a period beer reciently that should really help:

- Kent Goldings are pretty much the only hop that was used in this period, but the potency has doubled due to selection over time. Because of this the hops need to be halved in any period recipe.

- The quality of the malt has also improved drastically. I have no hard numbers yet, but the ABV of a beer brewed with the same malt to liquid ratio will be higher.

- Marris Otter and brown malts are likely the closest approximations to the flavor profile of malts of that time.

Source:
April 7, 2011 - Colonial Brewing
http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.ph...ing-radio-2011

Old 05-06-2013, 04:35 AM   #13
caseyprice
Recipes 

Hackwood:
Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher has a Welsh Ale Recipie predating the encyclopedia by 50 years. It includes molasses, pale malt, Kent goldings, and English Ale yeast. I don't know about copyright restrictions for posting that recipe, but it is on page 253 and the book has a bunch of great info. The book says prior to the 1800s Welsh Ale was a type of Bragot.

The book can be found on Amazon.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:36 AM   #14
gmiller598
Recipes 

I'm of Welsh decent myself so I'm a bit curious about this I recently got this book called Clone Brews. It has 200 commercial brewery clone recipes and one of them is Brains Brewery's Traditional Welsh Ale. This is pretty much the most popular beer in Wales and I first learned about it when I visited them this past summer.

The clone recipe uses cane sugar with Fuggles and East Kent Golding hops. The all grain version uses 7 lbs of 2 row and 8 oz of crystal malt. The recommended yeast is Wyeast 1028.

here is a link to the book:

http://www.amazon.com/CloneBrews-2nd...ds=clone+brews

I'm not sure if there is a copyright issue involved so I won't post the link but it appears the book is available on Google Books as well and the Brains recipe is shown in the samples pages.

Quick Reply