*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make stronger beer (around 5.5%)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
BillyDee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How to make stronger beer (around 5.5%)

The kit recipe I am following says to add '2 level teaspoons of sugar to a 2 litre bottle'.

If I want stronger beer, do I add more sugar and how much or will it be too sweet? Am I better off adding corn sugar rather than granulated sugar?

Thanks for all the help..it is a great forum and I am glad the experienced guys are more than willing to hlep us noobies.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 466 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I believe that's referring to your priming sugar to carbonate the bottle. Adding more sugar will cause it to over carbonate and possibly assplode your beer all over your kitchen.

Corn sugar is the sugar of choice, but in a pinch you can use table sugar, though you'll want to adjust the amount since they aren't interchangable.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-06-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Killer_Robot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Since priming sugar only creates a small amount of alcohol, if you want to make the beer stronger, you have to do it when you first brew it. Corn sugar can work then, adding alcohol without adding body or flavor, but that won't make for a very good beer in many cases. To be more specific, it's not always bad but it doesn't suit all beers and should be in moderation in any case, only a relatively small percentage of the fermentables. Adding more malt (or malt extract, since I assume that's what you're using) is better, but also makes the beer heavier, requiring more or different hops to balance, and so on.

This all sounds complicated, but don't worry, it isn't really. I've just gone through learning it all quite recently myself. If you're getting ready to bottle I'm afraid it's too late to strengthen your current kit, but for future beers if you want to make something strong just look for a kit or recipe that makes a style of beer you like at the alcohol level you want. The recipe database here is excellent, there are fine books to choose from, and most brewing supply stores will have kits(though some with better quality and variety than others.) Just be warned: stronger beers take longer to ferment, longer to carbonate, and longer to age to perfection than milder ones, so they take more patience. Usually this only becomes really pronounced once you get to really strong beers, but it's a general rule of thumb for most styles.

Last edited by Killer_Robot; 06-06-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Wasn't even drunk, just distracted and missed stuff.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

What Robot said - your alcohol content is dependent on the sugars in the wort before you ferment - adding more than just priming sugar when you bottle will give you an end result you don't want (beer and broken glass everywhere to be specific). Even as a beginner I never added sugar to increase abv - if you want a stronger beer then select a kit or recipe that is intended to be stronger. Also, read Palmers How To Brew - it's available free online and will give you a better understanding of how the process goes.

Quick Reply