Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How to make a starter for a high gravity beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
PorterHoarder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default How to make a starter for a high gravity beer?

Im brewing an American Barleywine with expected OG at 1.120. Due to the high gravity I could either pitch close to 5 packs of Wyeast ($45) or make a starter (which I've never done before). The Pitch-rate calculator I used said to pitch 2 packets in 5 liters of wort (1.040) or 1 pack in 12 liters. Does this sound right? It seems like a lot of starter wort. Say I pitched the one packet in 12 liters wort in my primary bucket. I wait 48 hours. Do I decant the wort off of the yeast? Is that really going to be enough yeast?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterHoarder
Im brewing an American Barleywine with expected OG at 1.120. Due to the high gravity I could either pitch close to 5 packs of Wyeast ($45) or make a starter (which I've never done before). The Pitch-rate calculator I used said to pitch 2 packets in 5 liters of wort (1.040) or 1 pack in 12 liters. Does this sound right? It seems like a lot of starter wort. Say I pitched the one packet in 12 liters wort in my primary bucket. I wait 48 hours. Do I decant the wort off of the yeast? Is that really going to be enough yeast?
For that large of starter, yes, decant. You do not want all that starter beer in your batch.

If you can crash the starter it will be easier to decant and yes, if you actively shake the starter frequently you should grow up to the proper cell count

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 04-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
jmcquesten
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterHoarder View Post
I would probably give yourself more than 48 hours, especially if you want the yeast to settle out so you can decant.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorterHoarder View Post
Say I pitched the one packet in 12 liters wort in my primary bucket.
If you're doing that you might as well make a 3 gallon batch of a 1.040 ale and use the cake for your barley wine.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
BigFloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 626 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
If you're doing that you might as well make a 3 gallon batch of a 1.040 ale and use the cake for your barley wine.
+1. I'd make a normal 5-gallon batch of 1.050 pale or amber with the same yeast and then use that whole cake for the barleywine.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
PorterHoarder
Recipes 

I took chicky and floyds advice and went ahead and brewed a Dirty Bastard Clone with Wyeast's 1728 Scottish Ale. I'm a few days away from racking this to secondary. I wondering if putting my barleywine (which has been tweaked to 1.125 og) overtop the old cake is a good idea. My LHBS guy told me to put my wort right on top of the cake. However I'm concerned that all the break below the yeast will give me off flavors. Its no more than the usual amount of hop break. The DB clone will be on the yeast for 2 weeks and I'm thinking 2-3 weeks for the barleywine (assuming fermentation is complete [i cant think of why it wouldn't be]) then rack to secondary til it clears out and bottle for 1yr+. This should work right?

Old 06-11-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

What was the OG on the Dirty Bastard clone? That's a high gravity beer is it not? You don't want to pitch onto a yeast cake from a high gravity beer as the yeast will be stressed out/tired/dead from fermenting a big beer.

As for your question about trub & break material, you can always wash the yeast to separate it out. But again, I wouldn't advise recycling yeast that fermented something that was high gravity.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:51 AM   #8
PorterHoarder
Recipes 

Ah shoot! The OG was 1.086. The one thing I didn't take away from BigFloyd was that I need it to be around 1.040. Makes sense. End up with a cleaner yeast cake. Do you think washing it would make the yeast suitable? Otherwise I'm thinking I'll have to wait another 2-3 weeks so I can brew another lighter starter beer.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #9
diS
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I wouldn't reuse yeast from batch above 1.070 OG, it is stressed from high gravity fermentation and probably mutated.
Next time you can make larger starter and pour some of it in sterilized jar for next usage.

We are only 10,000 years into beer... there are thousands of years left to go!
Things are bound to change!!

Brewroom with HERMS build
Fermentation chamber and Keezer.. a.k.a. FermKeezer

Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
hogwash
Minimally Exceptional
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I punched your numbers into yeastcalc.com and you should be able, depending on the age of your yeast pack, to do an initial 2L starter with 2 more 2L steps and it should get you to a big enough colony. That way you don't have to worry about brewing a whole other batch and can do your barley wine sooner. I did this with a pretty big tripel a while back and it worked really well.

Quick Reply