Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long would you let it sit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #1
AmishAmbush
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long would you let it sit?

I am brewing a bock beer and the instructions say to bottle after 7 - 10 days and then let it sit for another 21 days. Is this about right or would you let it sit in the fermentor for longer than 7 - 10 days? I have been read some threads on the forums where others have let their beer sit in the fermentor for a month or so. Does it make a difference?

Dave

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #2
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishAmbush View Post
I am brewing a bock beer and the instructions say to bottle after 7 - 10 days and then let it sit for another 21 days. Is this about right or would you let it sit in the fermentor for longer than 7 - 10 days? I have been read some threads on the forums where others have let their beer sit in the fermentor for a month or so. Does it make a difference?
I'd give it 2-3 weeks, bottle, and let it sit for 5-6 weeks in the bottles.

I like to primary for one day per 10 grav pts. 1.040 beer = 10 days, 1.060 = 15 days etc. and then I rack straight to the keg where it is allowed to condition for one week per 10 gravity points before carbonation and tapping. This method earned me the quote in my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am doing a Northern Bock kit now. I am giving it at least 10 days in the primary at 50* and then will transfer it to a secondary for 2 months at 35*. Then I will keg it and give it another month which would be the same procedure as bottling.

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Sounds like the instructions you are reading are fairly generic. I'd leave it at least 2 full weeks in primary, 3 weeks if you don't plan to secondary. Once you bottle I would give it 30 days at a minimum but nothing says you can't sample a bottle here and there during that time.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 10-06-2008, 06:02 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I almost all my beers for 3-4 weeks in the fermentor, then go to bottle for another 3 weeks minimum.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-06-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
AmishAmbush
Recipes 

It is fermenting around 76-79 degrees right now

Old 10-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

If it is a true Bock, you might have some problems with your fermenting temperatures. A Bock is a lager, and lager yeasts like it aroudn 55F, give or take a few degrees. At your temperatures, you might wind up with very fruity Bock that has at least a touch of acetaldehyde.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #9
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Tex is right, that is too high of a temperature for a lager. I think it is even too high for an ale which I try to keep at 70*.

I pitched my lager yeast at 60*, and then stuck it in the fridge at 50*. When I transfer from the primary to secondary, I am going to let it sit out for two nights at room temp and then put it at 35* for two months. Since this is my first lager, I asked and overall these are the temps suggested by people on this forum.

Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 10-06-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
AmishAmbush
Recipes 

Thanks for the advice guys. I will correct that right away

Quick Reply