The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will my beer keep?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Pohljm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will my beer keep?

I have just completed my first batch of Brewers Best IPA and it turned out fantastic! I just had a little opening party and have many bottles left still under refrigeration. Can I take these out of the fridge and store for later? Wife would like some more fridge space! Also the bottled beer that has never been refrigerated, how long will this beer last? Noob question for sure, but I have not seen this answered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1188

Depending if it was dry hopped you may lose the aroma or hop flavor some after a few months.Thats the thing with ipa's otherwise it will get better with age. I would cellar a few to see, just experiment.Personally i havent stuck any of my batches in the fridge till im ready to drink them one at a timeor two.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #3
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 388 Times on 303 Posts
Likes Given: 584

You can remove them from the fridge with no problem. The bottled beer will remain good for quite a while, months. Some beers like barley wines, belgiums, and imperial stouts taste best after a year or more.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 AM   #4
dummkauf
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

If you have them long enough for them to get to the point of being undrinkable, you should probably consider taking up a different hobby

They'll be fine, but as was previously pointed out, hop aromas fade with time, so if you keep them for months or longer, don't expect a hoppy beer when you open them, they'll still be good, just more malty.

Quick Reply