Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long will my beer keep

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
feenaughty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long will my beer keep

Ok my frist brew is a irish stout all extract.after I bottle it how long will it keep?
1)my first home brew
2)frist christmas in ower new/frist house
I want to bottle it on christmas day and drink one every christmas

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

In the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revi...assics-160672/

Beer's like wine, a lot of them improve with age....That's why stone has "vertical epic" with vintage, and people have vertical tasting parties

I made a beer that won't even be opened before 5 years go by on . http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/help...recipe-195096/

The first beer I brewed was a sweet stout. And I got 3 years out of it. But I didn't put any more bottles aside to see.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
avibayer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

But what about freshness of hop aroma and flavor? isn't that what makes wet hopped ales so amazing? A beer recently brewed, though the sugars and alcohols might still develop, will have a tremendous hop profile.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
breez7
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hop aroma and flavor will naturally decrease over time that is why real hoppy beers are ment to be consumed quickly just like a wheat beer....but he was asking about a stout. The darker and more alcohol (from my experience) will age the best.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #5
feenaughty
Recipes 

Thank you for your help.I was thinking about adding some christmas spices in it befor I bottle it buy boiling in my priming sugar next I have to figer out what to brew next;p

Quick Reply