Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will hop pellets last?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2007, 04:31 PM   #1
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Default How long will hop pellets last?

For my first batch, I needed .5 ounces of East Kent Goldings Hops. The smallest package I could buy was 2 ounces. I cut the smallest hole I could in the package, and put the remaining hops, still in the package, in a zip-lock bag and put it in the fridge. I am curious how long they will last there. The main thing I am concerned about is I am considering my next recipe, and wondering if it would be wise to find a recipe that called for the remaining East Kent Goldings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2007, 04:38 PM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 622 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Put them in the freezer, that should help preserve them a bit longer. They should keep for a few months. I'd recommend using them soon unless you have a means of vacuum sealing them.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
Ivan Lendl

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Yeah they should last a while, if stored properly. I wrap them real good in some tin-foil then double zip bag them and keep them in my fridge. But, I would not use them for dry-hopping, the fresher the better. (thats just me though)

I like to take extra hops and put them in a plastic cup and keep them in my car. Then I'll sit there in traffic and smell them.

Primary: empty
Secondary: empty
Bottled: Barbarian IPA
Up next: Configuration 9

Old 04-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #4
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've had no problems storing hops in ziplocs in the freezer for a few months. I usually put the hops in a small ziploc and then put all the small bags into a larger ziploc. I make sure to get as much of the air out as possible and I try to use them as quickly as I can; so far I have not had to toss any.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

In a tight bag in the freezer, 2 years. I'm fairly certain the comment below is for leaf, pellets would do even better.

"STORAGE STABILITY: very good, retained about 78% of its original alpha acids after 6 months room temperature storage"

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply