*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will crushed grain last

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Freezer.
Vacuum Sealer.

done.
don't think twice about it - I've got recipes that call for 2 oz of something, and I bought a pound. So - I can make that recipe 8 times - several packages like that STILL in the freezer, vacuum sealed. It's not all crushed, but some of it is...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
redde2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. They been stored in an sealed bag at 70 degrees, its not rancid. I going to brew it up. In my extract brewing I know I used steeping grains that were crushed for several months before I used them. My biggest concern was the converison to fermentables.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think keep anything you don't use as cool and as dry as possible and then checking it before using is your best bet. No guarentees if it will be good or not, but you should be fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:29 AM   #14
vortexla
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I made a batch a few months back with grains that were crushed about 6 months prior and it turned out fine.

Upcoming: All Cascade IPA, Brett L Pale Ale, Brett A Pale Ale, Brett B Pale Ale, Sour Belgian Pale Ale, pLambic, Gose, Oaked RIS
Primary: Munich Helles, Strawberry Mead
Bottled: Brett C Blonde Ale, Berliner Weiss, Orange Mead

Old 02-18-2011, 02:58 AM   #15
VAShooter
Recipes 

Glad I read this. Bought some grains earlier this week but wont be able to brew for a few more weeks. Just loaded them in the freezer. Mine were put in a bag...I've got no way to seal them other than put the bag in a gallon zip lock bag. Will that be sufficient?

Secondary: Beer

Kegged / Bottled: Beer

Old 02-18-2011, 05:41 AM   #16
kicknbrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiezer View Post
How old is ooooold? 6 months? 1 year?? 2 years?
I think she said a few months stored in a sealed bag in her dry and cool basement. So yeah, it was under some great conditions, but still. As long as it's protected, cool, and dry, it should be fine.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:15 PM   #17
dmelt11
Recipes 

I also buy my grains crushed until I get a mill (hopefully soon) and I store my crushed grains in a tote in my basement that stays around 68 all the time and I have used them after a couple of months and have not noticed any ill effects to the grain yet either. I say go for it. It will still make beer right? Maybe not as good as when they were fresh but how will you know for sure?

Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM   #18
PhiKappaGarage
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
There are two issues with using "old" crushed grains (for the AG brewer). The first is: has the grain staled (oxidized - gone rancid). The second is: do the grains still have sufficient enzyme activity to convert the starch to sugars.

With respect to the second point, I've done the experiments (actually had my wife's students do it) and properly stored crushed grain can still have sufficient activity for as long as two years after crushing. There is some loss of activity so longer mashes might be required. I actually crushed the malt it into flour for ease of the experiment, so it was even more prone to loss of enzyme activity.

So, it is actually the first issue that is important. The general consensus is to smell and taste the grain. If it still tastes fresh/bready/etc., then use it. If it tastes bland and/or rancid, don't use it
If its rancid, don't use it. More than just homebrewing, this is advice for life lol!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #19
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicknbrew View Post
I think she said a few months stored in a sealed bag in her dry and cool basement. So yeah, it was under some great conditions, but still. As long as it's protected, cool, and dry, it should be fine.
Cool, thanks for the info!

Quick Reply