New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will crushed grain last

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
redde2brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will crushed grain last

I have some grain that was crushed a couple of months ago. I was wondering if it will still make good wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #2
kicknbrew
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Give it a shot. I recently asked this of the woman at my LHBS. She said as an experiment once they cleaned out some ooooold crushed stuff from the store, brewed with it, and could barely tell the difference.

Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
ehedge20
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Usually not too long. You will begin to get insect infestation such as weavles and such. A closed bag of malt will last months but when you open it the clock starts to tick.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
Wiezer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicknbrew View Post
Give it a shot. I recently asked this of the woman at my LHBS. She said as an experiment once they cleaned out some ooooold crushed stuff from the store, brewed with it, and could barely tell the difference.
How old is ooooold? 6 months? 1 year?? 2 years?

Old 02-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
mikebowman
Recipes 

Palmer's book says it'll last about 2 weeks if it's kept cool and dry. I assume this means 2 weeks from when it's crushed.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't really keep grain around all that long. If I do have any extra, or some waiting for a fermenter to open up, I keep it in the freezer. The night before I brew, I pull out the grain and let it warm up overnight.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM   #7
bonzombiekitty
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebowman View Post
Palmer's book says it'll last about 2 weeks if it's kept cool and dry. I assume this means 2 weeks from when it's crushed.
Meh, I think it lasts way longer than that. I've used old grain crushed that's been sitting around for months before. Never had a problem. Just keep it sealed in a dry place

Old 02-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
PhiKappaGarage
Recipes 

I've got some in the freezer from 3 months ago that I wouldn't think twice about using, and I plan on it. You can get mold and bugs though so I always make sure to seal it and pop it in the freezer ASAP until I need it. Waste not want not, it can't be too bad.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 316

Since I don't have a barley crusher, I usually order enough crushed grain to last for 2 months. I have read before that as long as it is stored cool, dry, & air tight it will last for months. I keep mine in a sealed bag inside of a bucket with a tight lid, on the basement floor. I don't notice any difference between brews from the 1st part of my grain order to the last.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:25 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 190 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

There are two issues with using "old" crushed grains (for the AG brewer). The first is: has the grain staled (oxidized - gone rancid). The second is: do the grains still have sufficient enzyme activity to convert the starch to sugars.

With respect to the second point, I've done the experiments (actually had my wife's students do it) and properly stored crushed grain can still have sufficient activity for as long as two years after crushing. There is some loss of activity so longer mashes might be required. I actually crushed the malt it into flour for ease of the experiment, so it was even more prone to loss of enzyme activity.

So, it is actually the first issue that is important. The general consensus is to smell and taste the grain. If it still tastes fresh/bready/etc., then use it. If it tastes bland and/or rancid, don't use it

Primary: OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), Saison, light beer - yes, light beer
Brewing soon: IPA, Belgian IPA, Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
People Like This 

Quick Reply