Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will beer stay fresh in a keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
GRHunter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default How long will beer stay fresh in a keg?

I am thinking about doing some 5 gallon kegs but I am concerned about how long the beer will stay fresh. I know that when we a keg for a party a few years back the beer went flat and stale just a few days after our party. But we used a hand pump to pressurize the keg so I figure all the air in the partly drained keg had a lot to do with that. But if the proper CO2 levels are maintained then no air would get in and carbonation should remain as well. So what is the shelf life of properly kegged beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
thunder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRHunter View Post
I am thinking about doing some 5 gallon kegs but I am concerned about how long the beer will stay fresh. I know that when we a keg for a party a few years back the beer went flat and stale just a few days after our party. But we used a hand pump to pressurize the keg so I figure all the air in the partly drained keg had a lot to do with that. But if the proper CO2 levels are maintained then no air would get in and carbonation should remain as well. So what is the shelf life of properly kegged beer?
Add 1/2 cup of priming sugar when filling keg you will be good for months

Old 02-18-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

when you pumped the kegs air got in that oxidized the beer.

assuming the beer doesn't have any oxidation already in it (may take some time for it to show) and you purge the head space with CO2 the beer should keep for quite some time.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
marubozo
I can has homebrew?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5368 Times on 5227 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Like they have already said, when you pump a traditional keg you're just pressurizing it with oxygen, which is bad for beer. If you have your own homebrew and prime your keg with CO2 and keep it that way you have many months of great tasting beer. Even if you don't have the beer on tap and ready to serve the whole time, as long as you purge all the of the oxygen with CO2 when you transfer your beer to the keg and keep it under pressure you should have nothing to worry about.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
GRHunter
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Cool! Try as I might, I can't finish 5 gallons at one sitting. It's nice to know that I can drink it at a more leisurely pace.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:04 AM   #6
kappclark

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

it lasts longer than I can wait, as the keg is finished OFF much sooner than any time that it goes bad.

Unless you will consume 12 oz a week, I don't think time is a plm.

Bill Clark
Windham, VT

Old 02-18-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i can kill a keg in 8 days and thats only 5 pints/day! to dooooo eeeeeeet in one sitting, well that would require a compfy lazy boy reclining chair, cable connection, internet, a sexy female house keeper, the cold keg, some grub and a catheter!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
i can kill a keg in 8 days and thats only 5 pints/day! to dooooo eeeeeeet in one sitting, well that would require a compfy lazy boy reclining chair, cable connection, internet, a sexy female house keeper, the cold keg, some grub and a catheter!
you got a goal

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 02-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #9
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

everything but the cath and hot housekeeper: no problem!

some yeast sediment in the keg DEFINITELY EXTENDS the shelf life of room temp kegs.... the beer will weather slightly better than bottles will due to volume. figure a year for a medium+ variety.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

My record is 6 years for a barley wine and 3 for a big Belgian. Hoppy beers get a bit bland after 9 months or so, but in a cornie, you can re-hop them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply