Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will beer last in Cornie at room temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
spokaniac
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
So what do you do, just keep dropping ice onto the coils? Day in, day out?
No, it's refrigerated. There is a compressor that gets the water bath near ice cold.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

all the hop flavor and aroma in the keg will be diminishing at a more rapid pace since its not cold.
Cold = preservation.

There's a local beer here, kind of a IPA/PA called Hopluia, and they require it to be cold at all times. There's a number on the bottle you call if you find it being stored/sold warm.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
rhinofarts
Recipes 

Hi,
Thanks for your replies... This is the product information on the beer cooler (http://www.jemphrey.com/userfiles/File/Maxi310.pdf)... Here is the full manual (http://k002.kiwi6.com/hotlink/zx90ki2by3/maxi_man.pdf)
I knew about chilling kegs, but I decided to go for this unit because I could not come across a decent priced fridge, and I was able to get this cooler handy, they are are a solid professional unit made by Cornelius. So I decided to go down this road...
Do I still need to chill my kegs, or can I still brew/deliver my beer with this system... I could buy a small fridge down the road, for the purpose of chilling kegs for conditioning?...
Thanks everyone!

Oh and I would drink an 18L keg, very quickly.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #14
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

No need to chill the kegs. You will probably need to keep them at about 30-35 psi to get them carbonated, but the chiller has 5.3 m of 3/8" line in it that will drop that pressure by the time it gets to the tap, so it will pour nicely

Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
rhinofarts
Recipes 

Spokaniac, thanks for the reply. I feel a bitter better reading that... Do you think so I will be OK overall, I wont be able to condition at low temps but can I work around this yeah?

Old 04-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #16
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokaniac View Post
So far with this set up, I've found that you have to have the CO2 cranked up a lot higher than most on here would be willing to tell you is OK. I have mine at 34 psi to get a carb level I like.
34 sounds right to me. I equalize my kegs at around that psi and store them in the basement all the time.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #17
rhinofarts
Recipes 

Could you use 34psi pressure for any kind of beer?lager, ale? or what are the limitations... At room temps how long does it take to carb the drink?Im told approx 2 weeks, and at cold temps as little as 24 hours if you roll around the keg etc?

Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #18
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

It all depends on the style as well as your personal preferences. You should check out a carbonation chart that shows the proper pressure for a certain volume of CO2 at different temperatures. Something like this:
http://sdcollins.home.mindspring.com...rbonation.html

So if your room temp is 65f and you want a 2.40 volumes of CO2, set the pressure to 27 psi.

2 weeks sounds about right for timing.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-16-2012, 02:05 PM   #19
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinofarts View Post
Could you use 34psi pressure for any kind of beer?lager, ale? or what are the limitations... At room temps how long does it take to carb the drink?Im told approx 2 weeks, and at cold temps as little as 24 hours if you roll around the keg etc?
From my experience, style doesn't matter, carbonation absorption is simply based on pressure and temperature. Look at it this way. CO2 wants to escape out of solution (beer). So, at higher temperatures you need more pressure to keep it in solution. A good example is a can of soda. If you open an ice cold can of soda, you see a little puff of co2 and that's it. Now open a can of soda that's been sitting in a car and it will foam all over the place.

At 35 degrees, I've found that 10-12 psi works well for me and takes about 2 weeks. At room temperature (68ish) 30-34 psi will give me about the same result. Now, if I need it in a rush, I will put the beer in the fridge to cool down over night, then hit it with 30-34 psi @ 35 degrees. Since the pressure is high and the beer is cold, the keg will be fully carbed in 2-3 days.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #20
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

The carbonation level (or volume of CO2) is determined by temperature and pressure, basically the higher the temperature the higher the pressure needed.

The desired carbonation level is determined by style and preference. Soda water is usually around 3-3.5 volumes of CO2, should be around 1.5 - 2.5 volumes. For myself I've found that 34 psi at around 65-68F is a good compromise so far. I may end up building a manifold and getting smaller regulators to individually adjust each keg someday, but for now it works and I am happy with it. With the water I keep on tap to make sodas with. I pressurize it, disconnect the gas, roll it around and shake it up, the pressurize again until it stops taking more CO2 each time and it is ready to go pretty quickly. With beer, I've been using the priming sugar in the keg and bottling a 12 pack from the keg before sealing it, then letting it naturally carb for a couple weeks before hooking it up.

Quick Reply