Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long will beer last in Cornie at room temperature?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
rhinofarts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long will beer last in Cornie at room temperature?

Hi,
I am just wondering, how long do you think a full cornie keg of lager would last at 20C (68F). Under force carb pressure?, my system is not a keggarator, so my kegs are stored at room temperature, and the beer is drawn in and chilled in a chiller before the tap.
Approx alcohol content between 4.5 - 5.5%

Thanks and Regards,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
beerman0001
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Same as it would in a bottle.

Fermenting:Apfelwein
On Deck:
Hiding in dark corner: Lambic, Flanders red, Oud Bruin, DFH 120(in bottles)

Old 04-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

6 months to a year if proper sanitation practices.

Some would say longer.

The problem I see is that normally lagers go through a "lagering" phase where they are kept at near freezing temps for weeks. This helps to clear the beer of any yeast or other haze and will impact the flavor. If you have this beer at room temp for the duration of its life than you may not get that crisp clean taste that a lager should have.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just think I the keg as one big bottle.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
rhinofarts
Recipes 

So do you guys think I am going to have problems with my beer cooler set up? I just dont undertand it enough... Should I have got a keggarator or will I be ok for awhile?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Need to know a little more about this beer cooler you are using, and specifically what you are using to chill the beer.

I’ve seen similar setups (Jockey-Box) but they are more for portable, one-time party type use. They basically are a cooler filled with ice, and the beer flows through either a cold plate or a long run of coiled stainless inside the cooler that allows the beer to chill down before going out the tap.

A couple potential issues that come to mind:

• Foaming – With such high pressures on the keg side, you will need a long run of beer line so that the beer does not come flying out the tap and foaming all over the place.
• Aging – Beer ages faster at higher temperature. So if you are not consuming the keg fast enough, your beer may lose quality over time. Once again, if you have good sanitation and use quality ingredients, most styles should keep for 6 months to a year.
• Lagering – Like I said in my previous post, a lager gets a lot of its crispness from the ‘lagering’ phase, which is an extended period of cold aging. This goes for ales too, not just beers fermented with lager yeast strains. Cold aging helps to clear a beer and allows yeast, sediment, and haze to drop out of suspension at a faster rate than if stored at room temp.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM   #7
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Under co2 pressure it will last for years. That being said, when the beer peaks, depends on the style. For example, an ipa peaks fairly early since it loses hop aroma and flavor over time. A dark, high alcohol barley wine will improve with time. I cellar beer like this to keep a nice long backlog of beer. Cooler is better but if your temp stays consistent, just tuck it away.

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2781 Times on 2729 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Define "last".

Different beers will age better than others. Like said, it's one big bottle. How long does it take you to finish a keg?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 04-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a similar set up, I think. Mine is a cornelius President,e a refrigerated 4 tap chiller and keep the kegs at room temp. So far with this set up, I've found that you have to have the CO2 cranked up a lot higher than most on here would be willing to tell you is OK. I have mine at 34 psi to get a carb level I like. The way my chiller is set up, there are coils of 1/4" stainless immersed in the ice bath, and the length of those lines seems to compensate for the high pressure as I get nice, slow pours out of the tap - about 30 seconds to fill a pint. The main disadvantage I've found is that I have to let my stout sit a little to warm up since it comes out of the tap so cold. But it is perfect for carbonated water and styles that are good cold.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 04-13-2012, 04:20 PM   #10
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 316 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 222

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokaniac View Post
I have a similar set up, I think. Mine is a cornelius President,e a refrigerated 4 tap chiller and keep the kegs at room temp. So far with this set up, I've found that you have to have the CO2 cranked up a lot higher than most on here would be willing to tell you is OK. I have mine at 34 psi to get a carb level I like. The way my chiller is set up, there are coils of 1/4" stainless immersed in the ice bath, and the length of those lines seems to compensate for the high pressure as I get nice, slow pours out of the tap - about 30 seconds to fill a pint. The main disadvantage I've found is that I have to let my stout sit a little to warm up since it comes out of the tap so cold. But it is perfect for carbonated water and styles that are good cold.
So what do you do, just keep dropping ice onto the coils? Day in, day out?

Quick Reply