Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How Long to Wait when using Finings?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #1
MellowToad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Long to Wait when using Finings?

Hi folks,

I'm getting ready to bottle a nice IPA using Super-KLEER finings. Plan on mixing the finings in tonight then bottling tomorrow night. The dude at the shop said this was fine, but looking at the package it says 12 - 48 hours.

If I do go ahead and mix it in, and it's not 100% finished, will it change the flavor or affect the beer in anyway if I bottle it like that?

The reason I am trying to get this done tomorrow night is my brother, who lives about 600 miles away, made this beer together (and wants to take some home with himself) and is leaving Saturday morning.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

It will probably just finish clearing in the bottle. You do mean the finings not being done, and not the beer, right?

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Old 02-05-2010, 01:01 AM   #3
MellowToad
Recipes 

@smizak - Haha, oh yes, the beer is done. Hydrometer hasn't moved for a week and a half. If the finings keep going in the bottle, will the junk gel together in the bottom or be all lose in the bottom? Haven't really used finings before, and I can't seem to sink these darn hop particles...

Old 02-05-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
smizak
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Do you have dry hop particles? Are they pellets?

I find that withing twelve hours of cold crashing my dry hopped beers the pellets completely disappear. I've never used that fining, so I cant say if it will gel or not, but it will definitely just sink to the bottom of the bottle.

I just listed to a Brewing Network podcast with Vinnie Cilurzo of Russian River Brewing. He claims that he used gelatin by adding it to the bottling bucket. I guess it traps all of the yeast and protein junk in a jello blob on the bottom of the bottle, making pouring much easier. Can't wait to try it, I'm sick of giving a pouring lesson every time I give my homebrew to a noob.

On Deck: IPA
Primary 1: Air :-(
Primary 2: Air :-(
Primary 3: Air :-(
Primary 4: Air :-(

Bottled: Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply