Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long is too long in a carboy?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2011, 03:01 PM   #1
Scruffy1207
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How long is too long in a carboy?

I am pretty much reading that you want the beer to reach.FG and try to clear it up? But if it was kept for months would it still be good? I understand that it probably wouldn't help, but was just kind of wondering.

Maybe if your boil kettle was a sheet pan, and your heat source was satan's a**hole, then you could possibly boil off 60 percent of your batch in an hour.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
SnallygasterBrewery
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

If everything's kept in check (temperature not fluctuating too much, light's not hitting it, etc) you'll be fine -- not that there's necessarily a reason to go that long, but meh sometimes life gets in the way of this. Better sitting in primary than secondary for that long (I'm of the school that secondary is essentially worthless without a good reason to do so, like conditioning on fruit or something).

Old 04-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
sgillespie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

6 months maybe?

Old 04-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

People have left their beer in primary for upwards of a year...people have seondaried in a carboy for years and years.....there's really not a "right" answer, it's also really these days nothing to worry about.

It really depends on the style and type of beer, some like Hefe's are meant to be served young and cloudy. Other's benefit from time...And most at least should be left in primary for at least a week after fermentation is complete so the yeast can clean up the byproducts of fermentation that lead to off flavors.

Many of us leave our beers in primary for a month minimum. I left a batch in my bucket for nearly 6 months. And it was fine.

But the point is you don't have to panic, like folks reading the first online edition of Palmer are led to believe (and which he HAS changed) that your yeast are spontaneously going to die and make your beer taste bad if you leave it. It may actually improve some beers.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-19-2011, 03:35 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 457 Times on 363 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Agreed on the emphasis on style being important. I've left beers for months and they've been just fine and I believe they benefitted from the process, but I wouldn't do it with something like an IPA or APA that would lose too much of the hop character. Something like an imperial stout... sure.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Broncoblue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

So how long would you let and IPA sit. I left mine in the primary for 1 month and a seconday for 10 days. I tasted it and not a lot of hops left

Old 04-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
bechard
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblue View Post
So how long would you let and IPA sit. I left mine in the primary for 1 month and a seconday for 10 days. I tasted it and not a lot of hops left
What quantity of hops did your IPA use? You could always dry hop in the secondary to bring the hops back up.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #8
Broncoblue
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was actually a coopers IPA kit. Guess I could dry hop. I already kegged it though

Old 04-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
tomheff
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoblue View Post
I was actually a coopers IPA kit. Guess I could dry hop. I already kegged it though
You can dry hop in the keg.

Quick Reply