The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long till fermantation is done

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 01:38 AM   #1
mmm beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default How long till fermantation is done

I just did my first two batches of beer at home, Wednesday I made a Guinness clone and on Thursday I did a wheat ale. I used White Labs pitchable yeast on both batches. My question is how long till fermentation is done? Its only been a few days and I see no more activity in my ferm locks They were happily bubbling for a few days but now nada. Is it done or is something screwed up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I new to this but I have read that people advise the 1 - 2 -3 method. 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 weeks in the bottle.

Old 10-15-2006, 01:54 AM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I second Cregar, go with that rule for a while and you'll learn the signs to look for when trying to assess fermentation stages.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:01 AM   #4
mmm beer

Recipes 

I will just let it sit for a few more days then and hope nothing is wrong. I dont think anything is wrong though because how do you screw up two batches.
P.S. The Tigers are going to the world series !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE BASEBALL
more importantly I LOVE THE TIGERS thanks Magglio

Old 10-15-2006, 02:09 AM   #5
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

You can relax, it sounds perfectly normal.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:18 AM   #6
Cregar

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Not trying to steal the post but... Chairman Cheyco, mind taking a look at my post. I just finished my first batch and had some questions.

Thanks

Old 10-15-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
kc_lupo
Recipes 

I have the same exact type of question. My first batch was only bubbling violently for 24 hours. Now I do not see any bubbles blowing out my blow off tube. If I push down on the top of the lid though I do see my air bubble move up my tube so I know there is pressure. What gives?

Old 10-15-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc_lupo
I have the same exact type of question. My first batch was only bubbling violently for 24 hours. Now I do not see any bubbles blowing out my blow off tube. If I push down on the top of the lid though I do see my air bubble move up my tube so I know there is pressure. What gives?

It's not all that uncommon to have extremely fast and vigorous fermentations, sometimes finishing in less than 24 hours. The important thing to remember is that even though it looks like primary is finished, you should leave the beer on top of the yeast cake for a few more days to let the yeast clean up after itself. Even though the yeast was rushing to make beer, you still have to be patient!

Old 10-15-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
catnip1970
Recipes 

How common is it to see NO bubbles from the ferm lock? I think I may have put a little too much water in the lock and am keeping the pressure from bubbling. I got concerned after about 36 hours so I sanitized everything that I'd be touching...outside of the primary, my hands, made the dog go outside When I popped the top on the primary (using plastic for first batch) I saw a huge head of foam and a brown ring around the edge. Everything seems to be going alright according to what I've read on this forum so far but I'm like a new dad with his first baby on this batch.

Jeff

Primary: air
Secondary:
Conditioning: Oktoberfest
On deck: Newcastle clone (for SWMBO)
Planned: irish red
Drinking: Guiness, Newcastle

"Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly, ever acquire the skill to do difficult things easily." -Johnann C. Schiller

Old 10-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnip1970
How common is it to see NO bubbles from the ferm lock? I think I may have put a little too much water in the lock and am keeping the pressure from bubbling. I got concerned after about 36 hours so I sanitized everything that I'd be touching...outside of the primary, my hands, made the dog go outside When I popped the top on the primary (using plastic for first batch) I saw a huge head of foam and a brown ring around the edge. Everything seems to be going alright according to what I've read on this forum so far but I'm like a new dad with his first baby on this batch.
Jeff,

You can't really overfill the airlock, but you can underfill it. The CO2 bubbles will find a way through. However, it sounds like there wasn't a tight enough seal either with the airlock and/or the lid of your bucket. It shouldn't be a big deal, as you said there was definitely fermentation due to the kraeusen rising and falling.

Your beer should be just fine!

Quick Reply