Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long for smack packs?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2008, 01:28 AM   #1
mullimat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long for smack packs?

I am starting a Rochefort 10 clone from AHS tomorrow and i am trying to take EXTRA special care to make sure this one turns out absolutely perfect as i want this beer to taste as close to the original as possible (those who have had rochefort 10 know what i mean ). I got a wyeast activator pack and i have heard (maybe i am wrong) that i should set the yeast out of the fridge the night before? Or maybe i should set it out the night before and activate it as well? any guidance as to these smack packs would be helpful as so far i have only used dry yeast. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Dude you need to replan your brew day. That is a big-ass beer and you need to build up a starter to get enough yeast to pitch into that bad boy. Even better brew a Belgian ale something in the 1.045-1.050 starting gravity range and then use the yeast cake from that to pitch into your Rochefort 10 clone.

I usually start the smack pack first thing in the am and then pitch into a starter once it fills out. There isn't enough yeast in one smack pack to pitch adequately into a beer unless you are brewing about a 1.035-1.040 ale, and even then you are underpitching some.

GT

Last edited by Got Trub?; 03-01-2008 at 01:43 AM.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:43 AM   #3
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah the instructions from AHS are calling for a starting OG of 1.100. It uses 13.5 lbs of LME (still extract but moving up to PM, i know it sucks).

Old 03-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
mullimat
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub?
Dude you need to replan your brew day. That is a big-ass beer and you need to build up a starter to get enough yeast to pitch into that bad boy. Even better brew a Belgian ale something in the 1.045-1.050 starting gravity range and then use the yeast cake from that to pitch into your Rochefort 10 clone.

I usually start the smack pack first thing in the am and then pitch into a starter once it fills out. There isn't enough yeast in one smack pack to pitch adequately into a beer unless you are brewing about a 1.035-1.040 ale, and even then you are underpitching some.

GT
So me being the Noob how would i get a starter going for this kind of beer? I have an extra pack of Nottingham dry yeast and i have a pack of Wyeast 3787 Trappist yeast. Should i maybe pitch one of those in addition? I have a belgian ale kit right now but i would rather just start on the Rochefort now so as i can keep the ingredients as fresh as possible (maybe i'm thinking about this the wrong way?).

Last edited by mullimat; 03-01-2008 at 02:00 AM.

Old 03-01-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Makin' a starter...

Check these out.

http://www.homebrew.com/how_to/advanced_brewing.shtml#starter

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-5.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/Hi-Res/yeast-starter-kit.pdf