Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long should I condition??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #11
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I'd not leave it quite so long before dry-hop. Those fresh hop flavors from the boil are all diminishing, so as stated above, I'd do 3 weeks total in primary including your dry-hop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Once I bottle is it a problem if the bottles sit around 74-76f? I really would love to not worry about the temp of the bottles! It should be cooling down here in San Diego soon. I hope

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”
― Rafael Sabatini, Fortune's Fool

Old 10-08-2013, 05:28 PM   #13
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 15 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1566 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 2514

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman619 View Post
Once I bottle is it a problem if the bottles sit around 74-76f? I really would love to not worry about the temp of the bottles! It should be cooling down here in San Diego soon. I hope
No problem at all. In fact, that's pretty much where mine were at until the temps dropped. I'd say it's still 72º in the closet where I keep my bottled beer.

Also, 3 weeks after brewing I left a pumpkin ale in a bucket just sitting at room temp. The air was set to 76º all day/night but lucky for my electric bill, it was a cool week when I was gone.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
feinbera
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
While you're carbonating, mid-70's is probably a great temperature, warm enough to keep the yeast lively and get your beer carbed up in a timely manner.

However, that's a bit warm to be storing finished beers. Do you have a basement, or at least a closet somewhere in the middle of your house where the sun doesn't beat down on one of the walls, that you could get down to the 50's or at least the 60's?

Otherwise, I think everybody is in vehement agreement, here -- leave it in primary for two weeks total, a.k.a. just a couple more days from now, which should be a good compromise between letting the yeast clean up and settle out and keeping the hop flavors fresh, then dry hop.

Old 10-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #15
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I agree with the above information. Here are two tips that I didn't see spelled out above that might be of help.

* Putting an old (or new...) 100% cotton t shirt over your carboy draped into the water will help stabilize the temp and can help keep a few degrees cooler than ambient even without ice.
* Keep tabs on what you feel the max temp that it's seen during fermentation as it will be a factor in the amount of sugar need to bottle condition assuming that's what you will be doing.

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Old 10-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have a basement or a/c in my house. The temp in my house is usually hotter than outside, I'd say about low 80's during the afternoons. Kind of wish I lived in the east coast... I keep everything in my laundry room, it gets to about 82-84 at its hottest. Hopefully it starts cooling down. Is it possible to have a fridge in my yard? What if it gets rained on?

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”

Old 10-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #17
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I tried wicking but it didn't work very well with buckets =/ The most effective thing so far is just filling the rib up to about 3/4 the way up the side of the bucket and rotating out frozen Ziploc bags of ice

Old 10-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #18
flatlanderHQ
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

After the initial fermentation is over, temp control is not as important. This later stage of fermentation is when the yeast can clean up any off flavours from the vigorous stage of fermentation. So, don't worry about the ice additions to your swamp cooler. I wouldn't condition a dry hopped beer too long after it has carbed up because the aroma gained from the dry hopping quickly dissipates. Drink it fresh! Especially if it is a normal gravity beer.

Old 10-09-2013, 04:07 AM   #19
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got too impatient today and ended up dry hopping after only 9 days of fermenting. I tasted it and it tastes good (a lot drier than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I'm used to, I think its because the FG somehow got down to 1009 and I was shooting for 1012) . This way I will hopefully be drinking this batch by Halloween. This may have been a rookie mistake and me just being impatient but I think after a week of dry hopping plus two weeks bottle conditioning they should be good. Plus I will pretty much be drinking this batch alone :| so by the time i get to the last six they will have plenty of time to condition.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #20
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
I got too impatient today and ended up dry hopping after only 9 days of fermenting. I tasted it and it tastes good (a lot drier than the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale I'm used to, I think its because the FG somehow got down to 1009 and I was shooting for 1012) . This way I will hopefully be drinking this batch by Halloween. This may have been a rookie mistake and me just being impatient but I think after a week of dry hopping plus two weeks bottle conditioning they should be good. Plus I will pretty much be drinking this batch alone :| so by the time i get to the last six they will have plenty of time to condition.
LOL! If there is one person on the forum that hasn't hurried a batch or two Id be surprised. Have faith that as your pipeline fills, RHAHB becomes much easier!

Whiskey's too rough, champagne costs too much, vodka puts my mouth in gear
This little refrain should help me explain as a matter of fact I like beer - Tom T Hall

Quick Reply