Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long should I condition??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default How long should I condition??

I have a Pale Ale that has been fermenting for about 9 days now, it has reached the intended FG and has been constant for a few readings now. I am planning on dry hoping for a week but I didn't know how long I should let it condition before I begin the week of dry-hopping. Can I start now or should I give it two weeks followed by a week of dry-hops? I know that beer needs to condition but I am planning on giving it 3 weeks to bottle condition.

Thanks guys!

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”
― Rafael Sabatini, Fortune's Fool

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #2
C-Rider
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 113 Posts
Likes Given: 334

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman619 View Post
I have a Pale Ale that has been fermenting for about 9 days now, it has reached the intended FG and has been constant for a few readings now. I am planning on dry hoping for a week but I didn't know how long I should let it condition before I begin the week of dry-hopping. Can I start now or should I give it two weeks followed by a week of dry-hops? I know that beer needs to condition but I am planning on giving it 3 weeks to bottle condition.

Thanks guys!
I'd say give it two weeks at minimum for the yeast to "clean" up your beer. Then say 5 days before you plan to bottle drop in the hops. Pretty simple. Bottle and condition at 70* for another 3 weeks.

Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Fermenting: German IPA
Fermenting: German Stout
Bottle Conditioning: Wai`anae Summer Ale
(N.English Brown)
Bottled in the refer: Maui Wowie(RobustCoffeePorter)
Bottled in the refer: Malahine Ale (Am Pale)
Bottled in the refer: Old Glory Am. Stout
Bottled in the refer: GermanImperialStout
Bottled in the refer:
Bottled in the refer:

Old 10-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2258 Times on 1967 Posts
Likes Given: 1695

Yeah,it's def a good thing to let the beer clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before a week of dry hopping before packaging. You don't want all that yeast & trub in suspension when you dry hop. The hop oils would then coat the yeast & go to the bottom with them. so waiting for it to settle out well wil leave more hop oils in the beer.

Old 10-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
bobeer
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 49

+1 on what unionrdr said. With my house pale ale I let it sit for 2 weeks then dry hop for about 5 days or then bottle condition for 3 weeks. Comes out great every time!

Bottled: Bourbon Oak Brolic Strong ale
On Deck: Stocious Stout

Old 10-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, the only thing that is frustrating is that I have been using a swamp cooler to keep it under 72 and it is really a pain in the butt. I work all day and my wife refuses to help me outt by tossing a few ice bags in the fermenter tub from the freezer! So I leave leave in morning with my beer at about 65f and I get back with a beer at around 74-76f. I don't have any space to put a refrigerator, can't wait for it to cool down.

“Thirstily he set it to his lips, and as its cool refreshment began to soothe his throat, he thanked Heaven that in a world of much evil there was still so good a thing as ale.”

Old 10-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #6
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 675 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman619 View Post
Yeah, the only thing that is frustrating is that I have been using a swamp cooler to keep it under 72 and it is really a pain in the butt. I work all day and my wife refuses to help me outt by tossing a few ice bags in the fermenter tub from the freezer! So I leave leave in morning with my beer at about 65f and I get back with a beer at around 74-76f. I don't have any space to put a refrigerator, can't wait for it to cool down.
After you have reached FG, controlling the temperature is not so important. I wouldn't want it to get really hot but room temperature is ok.

I would think that ending your dry hop at 3 weeks is fine. Then you will likely need three weeks for bottle conditioning.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman619
Temp isn't particularly critical after fermentation finishes. In fact, many allow the beer to rise to room temp after fermentation is over. After about five days, you should be fine to Lear it alone with no ice bottle swapping.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wow that's a relief! The only thing is that the ambient temp during the afternoon is 82-86 then at night it drops to low 60's

Old 10-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 298 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsman619
Wow that's a relief! The only thing is that the ambient temp during the afternoon is 82-86 then at night it drops to low 60's
Leave it in the bucket of water you have been using to keep it cold. That will increase your thermal mass and the beer will probably only fluctuate a couple of degrees. Based on what you said, I would guess it would be down to about 71-72 by mid morning and up to 75 in the evening. It definitely will not keep up with changes in ambient temperature.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
corpsman619
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What also throws me off is that the temperature strip on my bucket is submerged so I don't know what the beer temp actually is. I don't want to risk infection by checking the temp with a thermometer throughout the day. I read that once the beer is no longer actively fermenting that it will usually be around the ambient temp.

Quick Reply