Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long should I barrel age my Stout for?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
Bigelow92
Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default how long should I barrel age my Stout for?

Hey guys,

I got a small 2000 ml kentucky bourbon barrel for my birthday, and want to barrel age a stout im brewing at the moment, but I'm not sure how long I should leave it in there. After tasting the water I used to seal the barrel, I'm thinking a couple days should be more than sufficient, but my partner in this endeavor thinks we should let it sit 2-3 weeks. We want the woody, bourbon, vanilla flavors foreword, but not overpowering the maltiness. Anyone have any experience in the barrel aging department?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 242 Posts

Sanitize a drinking straw to use as a thief. Take a small sample daily until you like it.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #3
rklinck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by freisste View Post
Sanitize a drinking straw to use as a thief. Take a small sample daily until you like it.
I think this is an excellent suggestion because the question is SO subjective. I personally think that the bourbon flavor overpowers the maltiness in every bourbon barrel aged stout and/or porter I have tried. But that it my personal opinion. The best gauge for what is right for you will be your own taste buds.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply