Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long in Primary? Then in keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
kyle6357
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long in Primary? Then in keg?

1) How long should I leave in the primary fermenter bucket before I move to carboy for secondary?

2) Then how long in secondary?

3) Now as for drinking I plan to keg as I landed a great deal on a kegerator. How long can beer last in a keg? Do I add the priming sugar, and give it some time or just hook it up to CO2 and give it a day?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
CCericola
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Depends on what you're brewing. For me, I rarely use a secondary unless I'm adding fruit, adding wood, or aging for a long time. I typically do no less than 3-weeks in primary and then go straight to the keg. If you are really interested in doing secondary, I'd do three weeks in primary, one in secondary, and then to a keg.

The easiest way to carbonate in the keg is to just put it on gas and wait. It'll be about a week.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4773 Times on 3469 Posts
Likes Given: 947

I usually do 2 weeks in the fermenter- until the beer is finished for at least a few days and is clear. Then I keg.

It will last a long long time in a keg- a keg is just a really big bottle when you think about it. Since you dispense with c02, and the beer is protected from light, it will last as long as a bottle would, or even a tad bit longer.

Some beers are best drunk fresh, while others need a bit of age. It really depends on the beer.

Quick Reply