New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long is to long in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
LILJONNYWV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long is to long in primary?

Ok I brewed some Honey Brown a while a go and have had a lot going on and forgot that it was in there. My girl friend just asked me what I was doing with it and realized that I hadn't did anything with it. Ok so back to my question, how long is to long in the primary before it is no good?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
Fluffhead
Recipes 

How long has it been in there? I have left a batch in the primary for almost two months before that turned out fine, give it a try.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
LILJONNYWV
Recipes 

I have on the calander to check it on march 29th so I think I made it at the begining of march.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
hoaxci5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know the exact answer to that question, but I'm sure you are fine. As already stated 2 months is no issue.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
thedude00
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Your good nothing wrong with some bulk aging. get it into some bottles or a keg and enjoy

Old 05-21-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
LILJONNYWV
Recipes 

Thanks guys!!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 308 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 17

no troubles with that timeline, you just may benefit from your forgetfulness actually

On tap: #77 Perfect Porter, #78 Mild 1.038 > 1.009, Flanders, RIS, Barleywine
Fermenting: #74 Saison with 3711 #75 Saison with WLP565 + Brett C
Aging: #67 Bareleywine 1.116 11/07/2012, Flanders 2 batches 1.056 and 1.060 12/12/11 and 3/26/12, Smoked Porter 1.063 10/11, pepper RIS 1.088 7/11, Kriek, 1.052 12/11, Berliner Weisse 1.030 9/20/12

Old 05-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Hopheader
Recipes 

Question: plastic primary tub (assumed) with lid? Or is your primary a sealed carboy (like me)?

Your main worry is headspace / air / oxidization in an 'open' primary. But definitely, the correct answer is:

Bottle that sucker, condition it, drink it!

Never never never (did I say never?) head for the drain at any stage pre-bottling unless:

a) you smell something wayyyyy bad
b) you do a hydrometer test, and taste the sample, and want to spew
c) you see big nice whitey-yellow-green moldy blobs (even then, if you're doing some crazy lambic or using nice brett yeast, who knows!)

Always give your beer a chance, BUT: if on bottling day you taste it and don't like the taste (use imagination for carbonation effect / or a beer colder than room temp), then you MAY be forgiven for dumping. But it is your choice. Nothing gets better when it gets bottled and sits (generally----not counting meads or high-alcohol/malt beers that need to age). I'm talking "if it is gross when you want to bottle, you won't want to drink it when it is colder and carbonated"

Keg: Special Bitter
Keg 2: American Barleywine

Old 05-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #9
demonrichie
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfriah View Post
Question: plastic primary tub (assumed) with lid? Or is your primary a sealed carboy (like me)?

Your main worry is headspace / air / oxidization in an 'open' primary. But definitely, the correct answer is:

Bottle that sucker, condition it, drink it!

Never never never (did I say never?) head for the drain at any stage pre-bottling unless:

a) you smell something wayyyyy bad
b) you do a hydrometer test, and taste the sample, and want to spew
c) you see big nice whitey-yellow-green moldy blobs (even then, if you're doing some crazy lambic or using nice brett yeast, who knows!)

Always give your beer a chance, BUT: if on bottling day you taste it and don't like the taste (use imagination for carbonation effect / or a beer colder than room temp), then you MAY be forgiven for dumping. But it is your choice. Nothing gets better when it gets bottled and sits (generally----not counting meads or high-alcohol/malt beers that need to age). I'm talking "if it is gross when you want to bottle, you won't want to drink it when it is colder and carbonated"
i cant really agree with your reasons to because some may look smell or taste pretty effin brutal right up to bottling and may still age out alright. if you look around theres stories of beers aging out of some nastiness even as lighht as bmc clones which cant hide mistakes at all.

makng a site about homebrewing for fun you can check it out a hbhda.weebly.com . im still working on it and any tips are appreciated

Quick Reply