Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How Long to Ferment

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
JParks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How Long to Ferment

Hi all,

I have my second batch ever in the primary fermenter as I type this. It has been there for about 5 days. I wanted to ferment it for 14 days and then rack to the bottling bucket with no secondary fermentation.
Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for work for the next few weeks! I will have to bottle after 21 days in the fermenter now. Do I need to worry about autolysis or any other issues?

FYI- I'm brewing an Irish Stout using part grains and part extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
seckert
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 16

i dont think you are going to have any problems leaving it in the fermentor longer than normal. I have left a beer in the primary for 2 weeks longer than the recipe said to and it turned out great! I have a buddy that left his in a ferm for 4 months. as long as the O2 isnt getting to it you should be fine.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #3
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 85

No worries at all.

If you do a little research, you'll find that at the volumes we homebrewers work with, autolysis just doesn't happen. There's just not enough beer there to cause the pressures required to cause it to happen.

If you do a little reading around here, you'll find that many of us recommend leaving your beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then going straight to packaging as you're describing. That extra week or two will give the last of the yeast time to drop out of your beer and to finish cleaning up any fermentation byproducts that might be left behind.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Headley_Lamarr
Recipes 

From my experience, it's no big deal. I let pretty much all my beers sit in the primary for a month w/ no issues of autolysis. According to Mr. Palmer, if you have any autolysis, you know.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
lcf8088
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Leave your beer in the primary. Just relax and let the yeast and beer do its thing. If anything it will clean it up more.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
nbolmer
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Under a month shouldn't hurt it - I have a lot of friends who no longer do a secondary fermentation with most homebrew. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to rack it before you head out, as long as obvious signs of vigorous fermentation have subsided. If it still has a pillowy head of krausen and your fermentation lock or blow off is still bubbling rapidly, just let it go. 2 weeks then bottle seems a bit short for the style anyway.

//Noah A. Bolmer // www.barleynhops.com//
//Barley and Hops Tavern // Occidental, CA//
//Warped Brewing Company // 10bbl // Sebastopol, CA//

Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratslinger View Post
No worries at all.

If you do a little research, you'll find that at the volumes we homebrewers work with, autolysis just doesn't happen. There's just not enough beer there to cause the pressures required to cause it to happen.

If you do a little reading around here, you'll find that many of us recommend leaving your beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks, then going straight to packaging as you're describing. That extra week or two will give the last of the yeast time to drop out of your beer and to finish cleaning up any fermentation byproducts that might be left behind.
This^
It's hard, I actually had to go back to buying those bottles filled with beer while I waited. But now I have a batch 2 weeks in the bottle and another almost 3 weeks in the fermenter. My first extract batch I bottled after two weeks and started drinking (all of it) about a week later

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 03-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
JParks
Recipes 

Thanks for relieving my worries!! I don't like being this far away from my precious fermenter while she does her thing haha.

Follow up question: The fermentor is sitting on the floor of a spare room in my home. When I am ready to move the brew over to the bottling bucket, I am afraid that picking up the fermentor to set it on the counter for siphoning will disturb the sediment thus transferring it to the bottling bucket and finally into the bottles. Should I move the fermentor to an elevated position now so that the sediment has time to settle? Or am I worrying for no reason?

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
Kingfish
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParks View Post
Should I move the fermentor to an elevated position now so that the sediment has time to settle? Or am I worrying for no reason?
I generally move fermentor to where I am going to bottle the night before bottling.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #10
Pilotpip
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParks
Thanks for relieving my worries!! I don't like being this far away from my precious fermenter while she does her thing haha.

Follow up question: The fermentor is sitting on the floor of a spare room in my home. When I am ready to move the brew over to the bottling bucket, I am afraid that picking up the fermentor to set it on the counter for siphoning will disturb the sediment thus transferring it to the bottling bucket and finally into the bottles. Should I move the fermentor to an elevated position now so that the sediment has time to settle? Or am I worrying for no reason?
Let it sit after moving it. Even an hour will help. This is one of the places I have noticed that a longer time in the primary fermenter has helped. The yeast cake and trub left at the bottom of the bucket is much more firm.

Warm beer is infinitely colder than no beer at all.

Quick Reply