How long do you put your bottles in the fridge before drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerWars

Reaction score
I usually just put them in the day of, or the day before. A few weeks ago I loaded the fridge up and drank a few at a time. After a week or so the beer got really good and I even noted to my wife that an aftertaste that had been present was gone.

Fast forward to this Sunday. I added more beer in the morning because we had some family coming over for football. The "new" beer had that aftertaste that had disappeared and wasnt as "clean" tasting as the beer that had been cold for several weeks.

Mind you that this is all beer from the same batch that has been fully carbed and conditioned for 6+ weeks.

Is there a "best practice" for a minimum amount of time to chill bottled beer before consuming?

Thanks!

My rule of thumb is 3 weeks in the bottle at room temperature to carbonate and condition. Then 1 week in the fridge. At minimum, 2 weeks carbonating and 2 days in the fridge.

Yep, this is called cold conditioning. It's the same principle as lagering. Basically, the colder temperature causes the beer to clear faster. The longer you keep it cold, the more yeast and proteins drop out of suspension.

I like to go at least a week,but its hard not to start drinking when they are cold. I also dont put more than a 12 pack in at a time, incase some moochers show up.

That's why I recommmend over and over that new brewers put them in the fridge at least a week. But getting new brewers to actually want to wait another week is not easy. But as you can see the longer you fridge them, the better and clearer they get.

The sediment layer will compact really tight, the beer will get extremely clear and crisp tasting, and proteins that cause "chill haze" will be broken down.

Awhile back I found a bottle that was in the back of the fridge for 3 months, and you could upend the bottle and none of the sediment would fall out.

have noticed the same thing - We have a bunch of drunken friends who love it out on our boat on weekends where they drink my beer. The beer is stored in bottles - in a closet - in the dark.
A cooler full of fresh - never cold - "closet" beer and ice to be drank that day is ok but has just a slight tang... beer cold conditioned in the fridge for as little as a day or two does not.

For my APAs, I like to condition them longer at room temperature, at least a month, but only have them refrigerated for 2-3 days. I find any longer than that and the hop flavors start to diminish. Of course, they aren't as clear, and the sediment doesn't compact as well, but that is a small price to pay for flavor.

So a week minimum? I can do that.

It really was a different beer that I tasted yesterday than what I was used to. I am bad with beer lingo, but the cold conditioned beer was much cleaner and MUCH better tasting - the juxtaposition made the improvement from cold conditioning scream. I did notice the chill haze yesterday (in fact I thought I dumped my yeasties in).

Revvy - Would you say there is a sweet-spot time wise for cold conditioning?

p.s. thanks for your postings about "time cures all beers." I thought this batch was a dumper because of the harsh aftertaste. I followed your advice and put it in my conditioning box in the back of my closet and forgot about it. At 6 weeks the aftertaste was subtle (but still there) - and after 2 weeks in the fridge I was actually impressed with how good the brew turned out (AFTERTASTE FREE!!!). Now I wonder how it would have tasted had I chilled longer sooner in the process.

Oh.... I didn't realize you were only talking to Revvy....

[fakes indignation]:cool:

Most of my brews benefit from cold conditioning in secondary. They don't need to be cold conditioned in the bottles as much and there is less sediment to deal with. Revvy is really Mr. overkill on this subject, but thin his process is much different than mine.

A beer I have right now has a really pronounced green apple flavor (acetaldehyde?). Of course I had to sample it after 3 weeks so I put a couple in the fridge. Poured one after a day and still like biting an apple. Drank the other one yesterday after another week in the fridge and it was a huge difference. It was a pale ale so I could finally taste the hops with only the slightest taste of apple. I'm definitely a believer in the cold conditioning now.

Do yourself a favor and get all of your bottles in the fridge as soon as they're carbonated. Time and temperature are two of beers worst enemies. The quicker you get them cold, the longer they'll stay fresh and as Revvy said, they'll always taste better too. The carbonation, finish, and head retention is always better after a beer has cold conditioned for a week or two.

If I had to guess, I'd say the green apple flavor was from the beer just being too young. Age is what helps there, whether warm or cold.

As far as time and temp goes, once bottled, they are not enemies (I'm talking room temperature here). I've had beer stored for over a year at room, with no negative result.

Cold conditioning doesn't always help... depends on style, amount of carbonation you are looking for, and personal preference.

If you have beers that are dry hopped, I find more than 3 days in the cold makes that wonderful full hop flavor drop out. It doesn't disappear, but it's not as full. Why spend all that effort getting a full hop flavor just to 'condition' it out?

It does help some beer, not all. And it's all subjective any how.

As far as time and temp goes, once bottled, they are not enemies (I'm talking room temperature here). I've had beer stored for over a year at room, with no negative result.

I completely disagree with this. It's a scientifically proven, indisputable fact. All staling reactions are accelerated considerably when a beer is store at room temperature. A year old bottled conditioned beer at room temp? Guaranteed that I could pick out oxidation in it. Maybe in some beers(RIS, barleywine) it can complement a big malt profile, but I defy you to store a delicate lager or APA at room temp for a year and tell me it didn't affect the beer. Beer is always best STORED COLD. Ask any brewery. They don't spend millions on refrigerated trucks and storage for nothing.

After the initial 3 week wait time, I stash them in the fridge for minimum 3 days. After that, I usually just leave a few in the fridge. Sometimes I'll find one in the back that's been in there for a month or 2 and is delicious, and crystal clear.

I completely disagree with this. It's a scientifically proven, indisputable fact. All staling reactions are accelerated considerably when a beer is store at room temperature. A year old bottled conditioned beer at room temp? Guaranteed that I could pick out oxidation in it. Maybe in some beers(RIS, barleywine) it can complement a big malt profile, but I defy you to store a delicate lager or APA at room temp for a year and tell me it didn't affect the beer. Beer is always best STORED COLD. Ask any brewery. They don't spend millions on refrigerated trucks and storage for nothing.

It is your prerogative to disagree. It is NOT an indisputable fact.
And you are assuming you know the beers I'm talking about and the storage conditions. You are right about the APA, I wouldn't store it that long, at any temperature. The hop profile would change.

And if you could pick the oxidation, guaranteed, then you should become a certified judge... the ones I know didn't notice it.

Back