Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long do you keep Starsan in use?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #21
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 711 Times on 523 Posts
Likes Given: 273

i typically keep mine for 2 or 3 months, but it'll depend on how many times i brew. if i've been using a batch for a while, i might re-dose it with a little more star san to ensure i'm back under the required pH. i should get some test strips... but i haven't.

when i'm ready to replace my batch, instead of dumping all of it i save a gallon or two in an empty milk jug. i then use that less-than-fresh star san in my blowoff tube setup.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend, wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, second runnings dark ale with vanilla
Fermenting: (nothing active)
Aging: imperial chocolate stout, sour cherry mead, oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #22
REWSTER
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have heard that if you swish your hand around in it and it still makes bubbles it is still good. of course if you leave a bucket without a lid and a bunch of crap gets in it you should prolly change it.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #23
Greenbasterd
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

untill i see more then 2 dog hairs at the bottom of the bucket.. my starsan does not get cloudy.EVER. that said. i did have a rogue dog hair get into a batch of skeeter pee i made. so it was then called diesel fuel (my dogs name is diesel). i donno how they get in there.. i keep the bucket sealed and try not to ever leave it open.. well i have a theory.. i sometimes forget to rinse off the bottom of measuring cups i might be pulling starsan out with that..

Quick Reply