Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > how long do you keep bottled beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #1
frijole
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default how long do you keep bottled beer?

If you bottle your beer. Do you keep any long term? Or do you have to use it relatively fast to get good taste?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Yes most beers improve with age...Even a few weeks longer than the 3 weeks recommended to carb and condition will show improvement.

Some take a year or more before they are even drinkable...Some beers are even meant to be cellared.

2 years ago Charlie Papazian wrote an article where he sampled over 20 years of stored homebrew contest winners....and most of them had held up or improved.

Even not so good tasting beers get better with age. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

I cry out loud everytime I see your reference to that thread revvy. I think about the 43 bottles of Ed'S Haus sitting in my septic system. WHY OH GOD didn't I just keep them!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 01-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
I cry out loud everytime I see your reference to that thread revvy. I think about the 43 bottles of Ed'S Haus sitting in my septic system. WHY OH GOD didn't I just keep them!
I'll sit Shiva on them for you buddy.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 01-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijole View Post
If you bottle your beer. Do you keep any long term? Or do you have to use it relatively fast to get good taste?
Most smaller beers, especially lighter colored beers and hoppy beers are best from about 3 weeks after bottling to about 2 months. After that they start tasting less fresh and the hops flavors start mellowing.

However larger beers and dark beers tend to improve for 6 months to years. My normal gravity stouts are usually best at about 6months, while Imperial Stouts often continue to improve after a year.

Nearly and home brew will still be very good at 6months. Most will make it to a year without too much deterioration. And again Big beers can often be cellared for years or even decades.

So it depends!

Craig

Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Ernie3
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Beer should never enter a septic system until it's had a trip through the kidneys first.
LOL...that's funny, yet so true!

Old 01-21-2009, 08:36 PM   #8
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

How long do I keep it?

Until it's gone.

I still have some of my first Barleywine made in Dec. of 2005

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 01-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
frijole
Recipes 

im gonna need another fridge.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frijole View Post
im gonna need another fridge.
It's nice but not necessary...you don't have to cold store them...you could store them in a cool basement...or a closet...anywhere not too hot, and out of the light.

But a beerstorage fridge would be cool...but I'd rather have a kegorator, and an fermentation fridge, and just chill down the beers when I was ready to drink them.

Quick Reply