Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long do people let there beer sit before bottling?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #1
JediMeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How long do people let there beer sit before bottling?

I didn't want to say how long do people let there been ferment before bottling, because fermentation can be over in a few days. Also I'm talking about standard 4.5%-6% gravity beers.

I know some people use the 1-2-3 rule for 1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, and 3 in the bottle before they consume. The recent trend I've seen is not to secondary and leave the beer on the yeast cake for a month. I generally use the later and let it sit for at least 3 weeks.

My SWMBO recently bought me Microbrewed Adventures by Charlie Papazian (great read by the way) and it comes with tons of recipes straight from brewers and Charlie himself. I haven't read all of them yet but the ones I have read suggest fermenting for a week and transferring to secondary for a week before bottling.

Basically I'm wondering if I'm making my brewing process longer than it has to be and denying myself more brewing opportunities?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #2
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Usually, I go 4 weeks in primary, then bottle. Making one batch a month seems to work for me, though I sometimes do more (I have a second BetterBottle).

Cheers!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 05-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This is the most discussed topic on here, it has been readily covered. I suggest you read THIS thread, it's become the "uber discussion" on this topic thread. Every discussion, question, answer, citation, etch is in that thread....

To Secondary or Not? John Palmer and Jamil Zainasheff Weigh In .

Many of us leave our beer in primary for a month minimum then bottle.....We find out beers to be clearer and better tasting.

I suggest you read that thread, and experiment for yourself, and make up your own mind.

There's thousands of threads on here already, where folks have ventured their opinions, and argued incessantly, but it ultimately comes down to what works for you......

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
spokaniac
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

From everything I've read it is up to the yeast how long it should take. The only way to tell is by the hydrometer readings, when it settles out (hopefully near your expected FG) and is stable for a few days, then it is ready to bottle. If you want you can let it go longer to let the yeast do some further clean up and for more settling to occur.

I use carboys and have 1 6.5 gal and 2 5 gal. Once I get to where I can brew more often I plan on using the larger one as a primary, then moving to the smaller ones to harvest yeast and make room for the next batch.

Primary: MT
Secondary: MT
Bottled and disappearing: Pale Ale/BM clone/Dbl Choc stout
Kegged: BM clone/double chocolate stout
On Deck: Hefe

Old 05-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Calichusetts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 638

I do 3 weeks primary, 1 week secondary, 4-6 weeks conditioning depending on the ABV. 2 weeks fridge

Old 05-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

6 weeks.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 257 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

21-28 days. I've yet to brew a beer yet that wasn't finished and off-taste free if I used that time frame and kept the beer temp at 65F.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Genjin
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've been doing a range and really just doing it by taste. Generally, the higher the abv the longer it needs to get to where I want it. I recently brewed a mild that was 3.6% and it was stable after three days and I bottled after ten. It had cleared brilliantly and tasted great, so I figured it was ready. My 5.8% smoked porter was in for a month.

Basically, it is my opinion that every beer is different and we have a number of tools to help us decide when it is ready. Personally, I use my nose, mouth, eyes and hydrometer to decide when it is ready. Then I wait a few days just in case!

Old 05-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 86 Posts

4 weeks primary 4 weeks bottle conditioning 48 HRS fridge. Take it to the bank.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
BodaciousBrew
Recipes 

We've only done this 4 times, but we bottle after close to 2 weeks....a couple days earlier if the Gravity read isn't changing. Haven't tried second fermentation as of yet. Bottle for 1.5-2 weeks. Tasted the beer after 1.5 weeks and it was good to go and carbonated so we slowly started putting a few in the refrigerator. The rest are still in bottles in the garage so they may get the full 4 week bottle depending on how fast we drink it.

If it is tasting good is there any reason to wait longer?

Quick Reply