New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long did you extract brew before going to All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #21
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I am a tinkerer, so all grain allowed me to tinker endlessly

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #22
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2669 Times on 1611 Posts
Likes Given: 3465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Revvy, settle down man. No one claimed AG was a holy grail in here. I completely understand your point but maybe wait until someone makes a claim that extract brewing is for losers...
Actually some people on here (mostly new converts, and quite a few EAC's ) have said stuff to that effect...I can find you the threads, there's plenty of those on here, especially with titles like "Extract Vs Allgrain" or Extract Sucks...There are a few threads that even say that extract brewers aren't real brewers....

They're not hard to find...

Funny how touchy SOME people have gotten about the comment. I didn't name names....or allude to anyone in particular on here...and I'm not saying anyone on this thread is that way...

Though "Methinks some people doth protest too much"...

I just expressed my opinion just like everyone else did...I just suggested he work on his process and be the best brewer he could be...regardless of the method he chooses...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #23
Shonuff
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Revvy, settle down man. No one claimed AG was a holy grail in here. I completely understand your point but maybe wait until someone makes a claim that extract brewing is for losers...
extract brewing is for losers

"Only water I serve has got barley and hops in it." - Lil

Join the #1 HBT group "Michigan Mashers"

Join the #2 HBT group "Pacific Northwest Brewers"

Old 01-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #24
BrewDey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did extract for about a year. Nothing at all wrong with extracts, but AG is cheaper and IMHO, more fun. It requires some more equipment, and more time. I could do extract after work if I wanted...with AG, I need to block out a good chunk of a weekend day. But it makes the brew day more of an event. If you can do extract-you've got the main stuff down. Vorlauf, sacrafication, decoction, etc. are scary sounding words, but the actual process is pretty simple...and it doesn't require the same level of sanitation that you need for post-boil operations.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To be honest my biggest problem with extract is the color shift, and yes I know how to minimize it but there is no way around the fact that an extract and steep is going to be a few shades darker than an AG version of the same beer.

On New Year's Eve, I had someone say "I am not a big fan of dark beers like that in general, but that one is really good." A nice compliment usually but it was a pale ale with only Extra light LME and DME and 1 lb of 15L crystal.

I didn't say it but I chuckled when I thought "pay no attention to your eyes, this is a light beer."

As far as extract twang, I trust my supplier (Morebeer) to provide extract that is fresh enough to avoid this.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:21 PM   #26
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

EDIT EDIT... you guys crack me up. No one in this thread has mentioned any brewing technique being superior, and yet the thread turns to elitists and holy grails. Why did you have to bring Monty Python into it?

My buddy did some extract brewing, his porter was very nice. Honestly that is the only extract brew I have ever tasted, so Id say that extract is fine. The only "not so good" properties of extract brews that I know of... you guessed it, were posted by extract brewers on here.

My wife thinks baking a cake consists of opening a box and adding water, oil and eggs. I think it starts with flour...

To each thier own...

Old 01-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #27
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonuff View Post
extract brewing is for losers
...then I must be an award winning loser...

I won Best of Show and Best of Style on my first time out with an extract HW, beating out over 100 other brews.

All I can say is many/most of my brews taste better (to me) than some of the pubs I've been to.

I went to one the other night and couldn't finish 1/2 pint of the crap they were selling...stay away from the Bent River in Moline, IL.

Last edited by homebrewer_99; 01-02-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #28
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
EDIT EDIT... you guys crack me up. No one in this thread has mentioned any brewing technique being superior, and yet the thread turns to elitists and holy grails. Why did you have to bring Monty Python into it?

My buddy did some extract brewing, his porter was very nice. Honestly that is the only extract brew I have ever tasted, so Id say that extract is fine. The only "not so good" properties of extract brews that I know of... you guessed it, were posted by extract brewers on here.

My wife thinks baking a cake consists of opening a box and adding water, oil and eggs. I think it starts with flour...

To each thier own...
I beer fart in your general direction, you silly english kaniggit!
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #29
Rezilynt
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

It took me 8 months to start brewing using all grains. Notice I said start not switched to. I still brew really good beer with extracts as well. It's kind of like sex - sometimes you have the time to plan it out, take it slow and try new things. Other times you just want to get down and do what you know works. Either way, it's enjoyable.

If farmers make wine and engineers make beer, what the hell am I doing here?

Last edited by Rezilynt; 01-02-2009 at 04:38 PM.

Old 01-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #30
spriggan486
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whether extract or all grain.... the end result is beer.....

doesn't really matter how you get there.

at least IMHO

Quick Reply