Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long did you extract brew before going to All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 11:46 PM   #141
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaysurfer
Even simpler, as mentioned, is BIAB, but I ripped a grain bag my first time doing that and never tried again.
I found 1 gallon BIAB way easier than the brooklyn brew shop instructions.

But i can see how a 5 gallon BIAB could be more intimidating.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 02:30 AM   #142
kitchensqueen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by apeman View Post
I've never done an extract brew, it looked like more work to me, so I jumped in with both feet brewing all grain. Did my first batch on Saturday and it was pretty straightforward. Its fun and addictive.

The hardest part was figuring out what to do with all of the wet grain!
Same here, except I'll be doing the first batch this weekend. To me, brewing with all grain is just the same as cooking dinner from a recipe.

As for the grain, I've heard of people making bread with it. Or you could always compost it if you have a garden.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #143
natefrog255
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So simplicistically is this what I would need to go AG...

1. Hot Liquid Tank, which can be a 5 gallon cooler with lid ($19 at Menards). I would replace the plastic spigot with a SS weldless cooler spigot ($38 at MoreBeer). So we'll say $60.
2. Mash Tun, which can be a 10 gallon cooler with lid ($45 at Home Depot). Replace the spigot again ($38 at MoreBeer). And I would need a false bottom or braid system. So like $100 to $150 pending the FB or Braid.
3. Kettle (already have a Penrose 15 g kettle)
4. Tubing from HLT to MT and MT to Kettle $1.00/ft at like True Value
5. Propane Burner/Tank (already have)
6. Mash Paddle $30

Is that essentially it?

If I batch sparge my interpretation is I don't need a sparge arm. Is there any connection that I need to connect the false bottom OR braid to the spigot in the MT? Ideally I'd like to just buy a braid and attach to spigot (if that is how you do it).

All Extract Brewer (with Steeping) Brewer Since Fall of 2011. Goal is to try All Grain in Summer of 2013.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #144
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrog255 View Post

1. Hot Liquid Tank, which can be a 5 gallon cooler with lid ($19 at Menards). I would replace the plastic spigot with a SS weldless cooler spigot ($38 at MoreBeer). So we'll say $60.
2. Mash Tun, which can be a 10 gallon cooler with lid ($45 at Home Depot). Replace the spigot again ($38 at MoreBeer). And I would need a false bottom or braid system. So like $100 to $150 pending the FB or Braid.
6. Mash Paddle $30

Is that essentially it?

If I batch sparge my interpretation is I don't need a sparge arm. Is there any connection that I need to connect the false bottom OR braid to the spigot in the MT? Ideally I'd like to just buy a braid and attach to spigot (if that is how you do it).
If you batch sparge then I don't see why you even need the HLT. I just used my brewpot to heat the sparge water and drained the mashtun into my bottling bucket. Once the sparging was done I transferred it all back into the brew pot

Old 05-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #145
atom
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:

6. Mash Paddle $30

Is that essentially it?

all you really need is a mash tun (which can be made for $65ish). and if you do BIAB you don't even need that...just a large enough BK...your 15 gallon is plenty big.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #146
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

2 extract with steeping grains and 1 partial mash. About a month before going all grain. BIAB was a mess for my partial mash. That's when I decided to get a mash tun, and found one on Craigslist for $35. It's a kettle with a no weld spout. Very easy, all you need is a thermometer to monitor your mash temp. You basically sit for an hour.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #147
TimpanogosSlim
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:

6. Mash Paddle $30

Is that essentially it?

I agree with the other person who said that if you batch sparge you don't need the HLT. I sure don't have one.

Your spigot kits are way cheaper at bargainfittings.

My "mash paddle" is a huge stainless steel spoon i bought at a restaurant supply for $8. I am at a loss as to why i might need something that resembles a cricket bat or boat oar.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #148
stratslinger
Brewing Thespian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Another thing: Don't go with tubing from True Value! That stuff is most likely not food grade. Spring for the $2/ft + shipping to get silicone tubing from bargain fittings or another online vendor - you're guaranteed to get food grade tubing that'll last for several brew sessions.

Like folks have said, you can definitely shave some money off on the mash paddle (no need to spend $30 there - I have a $5 plastic mash paddle that's worked just fine for me) and you can certainly batch sparge like knotquiteawake described and save the HLT - though I can attest to the convenience of having a direct fired HLT - you may find that eventually you'll want some form of a kettle and another burner for an HLT. Maybe go with knotquiteawake's approach as an interrim until you decide whether you want to go direct-fired HLT or whether a cooler with a valve (and probably a dip tube!) will be sufficient for you.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #149
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotquiteawake

If you batch sparge then I don't see why you even need the HLT. I just used my brewpot to heat the sparge water and drained the mashtun into my bottling bucket. Once the sparging was done I transferred it all back into the brew pot
I do it the opposite. Sparge water goes in the bottling bucket, wort goes in the kettle.

Quick Reply