New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long did you extract brew before going to All Grain?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 01:53 AM   #1
Fadeux
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long did you extract brew before going to All Grain?

I assume most people on here do all-grain brewing. I am just curious as to how long you did extract brewing (if at all) before understanding the process enough to do all-grain. I have done two batchs, a hefe, currently in bottle stage, and a lager, still in secondary. Basically I am just reading and following instructions. I am wondering what really gets people to that next step of all-grain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2009, 01:55 AM   #2
TeufelBrew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think I went 8 months brewing extract and steeped grains before going AG. I just wanted to control the next step in the process after controlling fermentation temps. It's a personal thing and you can go AG or not as you choose. See what you like and what works for you.

~~~~
That's not a beer gut, it's a liquid grain storage facility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinksWellWithOthers View Post
You're all wrong. Apfelwein is a time machine and mind eraser combined into one.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I think I went about 4 or 5 months. I started in the middle of winter so indoor brewing was most convenient. By summer I was all grain.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

Never brewed extract....

Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2660 Times on 1605 Posts
Likes Given: 3451

I don't do any one type of brewing...I'm not elitist and believe that All grain is the Holy grail mecca of brewing...It's not the type of brewing you do that makes good beer...it's YOUR PROCESS...

I'm a homebrewer, not an extract brewer or an allgrain brewer...I make beer. And depending on the recipe or the mood, the ingredients I use are different for each batch...AND except for a couple of exceptions, they all have been either pretty good or freaking amazing..

Some of my recipes taste great as extract so there's no need to spend 6 hours brewing it as ag...

You might wanna consider reading this..

http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Why_cant_we_all_get_along/

If you suck as an extract brewer, it doesn't mean you will "Magically" make great beers becasue you now became an All Grain Brewer...be the best damn brewer you can be, with whatever you have in front of you, whether it's a can of extract or 10 pounds of 2-row...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 01-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
pentachris Likes This 
Old 01-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
nowise
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2 extract batches and I was done. AG is a lot easier than it appears, at least to get started. I'll never admit to being a master

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #7
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm a bit of copper away from going all-grain, but I've been collecting the stuff to go there for 4 months. I'm in no hurry. Since getting serious about the hobby, I've made 20 batches of extract with grains. The beer mostly tastes good, some really good. When I get my equipment together I'll try an all grain batch, but I'll probably still make some of my beers from extract as well. I've yet to taste a beer from an all-grain brewer (other than the micros) that has me stepping on myself to brew this way. I'd like to have the equipment to lager much more than than a MLT. Don't get me wrong, I know that the best beers are made this way, I just make stuff that's too close to "get after it". Hope this helps answer your question, even though I haven't done it yet.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 01-02-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 52

About a month.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

I am not an elitist... but my point is that going All Grain, isnt hard. There are a lot of people that do it and never do extract. It is talked up to be some big thing... it isnt. The toughest part, making sure you have the room to brew outdoors with a burner and a large pot.... that is about the hardest part for most ppl.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:43 AM   #10
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 6

8 years.....

Quick Reply