The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long did it take you until you made a awesome batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 AM   #21
iambeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Not long before it happened, but only by accident/beginner's luck. When I can make awesome batches on a regular basis, I will let you know.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #22
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My first great tasting batch was when I controlled my ferment temps adequately and also matched the style of beer to the water i was using. It was my first batch without tinned extract. It was freshly bagged extract from Wind-River Brewing. It wasn't my first batch or probably even 10th. But after that, things got a lot better. Keep trying and clean before you sanitize everything!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
snowtires
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 40 Posts

My first beer i made had the same OG and FG as you. I realized i didnt like it because it was too sweet, too high final gravity on that style of beer with noble hops tastes funny to me, i think its the way the sweet mixes with the hops or something?

Primary 1 Hoppy birthday IPA
Primary 2 Citra blonde
Secondary: Do people still use secondaries?
Drinking: Beer from the store :(

Old 11-17-2012, 02:24 AM   #24
senordodo
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I was never satisfied until I went AG and basically built a micro brewery in the garage, but no matter how you get there, it's still about fresh ingredients, sanitation, and temperature control.

Old 11-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #25
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I guess what I am looking for is something I can really compare too, ie does it taste like other commercial styles. In this case, its clear it doesn't taste like any commercial pale ale I've ever had, nor any commercial beer for that matter. I am critical of my beers, but from what I read on here, people say they make high quality wonderful tasting beers from extract that win prizes and goes head to head with commercial beers.

I'm not looking for perfection. Heck, is be happy if it'd taste like bud light, at least I'd have something to compare it to. This thing I just made tastes like nothing I've had before...

Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
dbsmith
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The three big things that let me start making awesome beers were fermentation temperature control (via swamp cooler), making a yeast starter, and buying a faucet water filter. At least try the first two and see if that makes a difference.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #27
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I can honestly say I've never had any that didn't come out at least pretty darn good.
As for exceptional, after maybe four or five batches I started trying my own recipe. First was an IPA. Pretty darn good. It was a big hit with everyone.
The next was a coffee beer that I made. Actually more of a what have I got in stock Rye beer ( extract brewing ) that I decided to add coffee to at the last minute.
It came out so bitter that I really didn't want to drink it. I would have a glass from time to time and it got better. I added some more DME and after a couple more months it was awesome.
Too bad I don't know where I put my notes from making that batch. It sucked for so long that I didn't to make it again. By the time I figured out that it was great, I couldn't find the notes.
I'll try an all grain version again some time. See if I can come close to that again.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 AM   #28
ChrisVZ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My second batch, a belgian grand cru, was my first truly great homebrew. Of the 15 batches I have made, most were good to great. Only 2 batches were failures, both of which were my fault. A vanilla stout that I added too much vanilla to and a holiday spice ale that I did not aerate enough both went down the drain. Overall, my brewing adventure has been a success.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #29
kaconga
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chungking
I guess what I am looking for is something I can really compare too, ie does it taste like other commercial styles. In this case, its clear it doesn't taste like any commercial pale ale I've ever had, nor any commercial beer for that matter. I am critical of my beers, but from what I read on here, people say they make high quality wonderful tasting beers from extract that win prizes and goes head to head with commercial beers.

I'm not looking for perfection. Heck, is be happy if it'd taste like bud light, at least I'd have something to compare it to. This thing I just made tastes like nothing I've had before...
Make a clone. Find a simple recipe and then compare your clone to the real deal. I did that with blue moon and I immediately understood the differences and where they did things differently. I also realized that commercial beer is not really a flavor I want to emulate. My clone was superior to me and I didn't even care for it. My wife is even asking me to make another batch since I gave away the last two beers a few weeks ago.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #30
chungking
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I will try a clone the next time I order. Any suggestions? Something easy that would hard to screw up, that has a clearly defined flavor profile?

So all you guys that say your beer was good, was it easily perceived as being homebrewed? Like could you give it to someone and them think it was a commercial beer? I guess I don't like the "homebrewish taste"....

Quick Reply