The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How Long to Condition?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2007, 03:29 AM   #1
efreem01
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Default How Long to Condition?

Yesterday I brewed a double IPA. The OG was 1.102 and the beer is appx 70 IBU. I'm trying to properly age this beer so i can get the best possible taste. I just read that John Palmer recommended to ferment a barley wine for 2-3 weeks and then 1-3 months in the secondary fermenter.

Is this a good rule of thumb for me to follow? I've read on this board that for every 1%, you need an additional month of conditioning. Does this mean i also bottle-condition for 5 months?

By the way, i've done what i never thought could've been done. I needed a blow-off tube with my 6.5 gallon carboy! This beer is a beast.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

The time in the clearing tank counts towards conditioning. You may want to hold off on the final dry hops until two weeks before bottling. 3-5 months total will probably enough.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I am definitely no expert here but my understanding is that hops aroma, and flavor decreases with age so for DIPAs which desire lots of hops flavor it is more a balance of aging the hot alcohol flavors without letting the hops disappear. So DIPAs are usually aged less than things like Barleywines and RIS. I would guess this is also true of time in the fermenter also but I don't know.
Craig

Quick Reply