How long to carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeretheBrews

Reaction score
Just bottled and primed... How long until I can drink it? I have family up.... and they want to taste it. When should I refrigerate?

What type of beer is it? How much primming did you use? Might try it in a week although it could taste prety green.

A week at 72F to carbonate, but you really need to wait 2-3 weeks. Green beer won't impress anyone, besides, once the family is gone, more beer for you!

It is not likely that the beer will be carbonated let alone taste its best less than 5 days or a week in the bottle. If you sample it with the family, make sure to give a disclaimer first that the beer is not at its peak.

- magno

I'll cast a different vote. I've found acceptable levels of carbonation in as little as a few days - say, Wednesday, after bottling on Saturday - so while the flavor might not be as mature as it can or will be, you may find that you at least have an acceptable head by Tuesday or so. The greenest home brew is still likely to be better than any commercial beer you buy.

Edit - don't refrigerate until a few hours before you are ready to drink - or put it in ice water a half hour before. This will let the carbonation process go as long as possible. Once you chill it, the yeast are shut down.

One thing that might be in your favor is that Porters are not usually aggressivily carbonated. Hey give it a shot you know... you have a bunch so if it's not good you know you just need a wait it out a bit longer.

Back