Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can you leave beer in a primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
mike1978
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long can you leave beer in a primary?

How long can you leave beer in a primary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
HalfPint
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I've got a porter that's been in the primary now for about 4 weeks. I've gone 6, but I try to get it out of there sooner than that.

Off of the beer subject, I have an Edwort Apfelwein that's been in the primary now for about 2.5 months. I'll prolly get it off of there soon.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #3
FireNightFly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I try to go 4-6 weeks, tho its all about a gravity reading. When you get the same reading for 3 days in a row, you know its time to bottle.

Ive read on here tho people leaving it for months on end and beer turned out great. Good luck! RDWHAHB

Old 11-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

the general rule of thumb is 4 weeks. but from what i hear you can leave it on there for quite some time with no ill effects.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
the general rule of thumb is 4 weeks. but from what i hear you can leave it on there for quite some time with no ill effects.
Where does that rule of thumb come from?

It's dependant on a few things.

I'd say it's generally more than 4 weeks though.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
mrcoldone
Recipes 

I got the same gravity reading three days in a row after 10 days. Is that wrong to bottle then? It was only my second batch so hopefully it still comes out good.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I've gone several months with no issues (recently about 5 months on an RIS). Generally I take it off the yeast at 3 weeks for a normal beer though.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoldone View Post
I got the same gravity reading three days in a row after 10 days. Is that wrong to bottle then? It was only my second batch so hopefully it still comes out good.
If it's the same reading it is safe to bottle.. most people would leave it at least 3 weeks to let the yeasties clean up after themselves though.. Waiting is rarely a bad thing.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 AM   #9
rsmith179
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I would never advise you to go too long on the yeast cake. Yeast tends to impart a "yeasty" characteristic to the beer the longer it sits in the primary. I had a light cream ale made with WLP001 recently. This batch was in my primary for over three months before it was finally kegged. Upon drinking, it tasted more like a belgian than the clean tasting WLP001. I concluded that this belgian yeastyness had to be caused by the long amount of time it was left on the yeast cake.

Under normal circumstances, I keep my beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks before kegging/bottling.

"Brewers enjoy working to make beer as much as drinking beer instead of working."
-Harold Rudolph

Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 AM   #10
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Make your own mind up but there are many conversations on here about long times in primary without adverse effects. If you don't believe then do a search on autolysis.

From the words of Palmer.

Quote:
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis. Autolysis is not inevitable, but it is lurking.
Must admit thought for the inexperience noob then it better to follow conventional instruction and then gain the knowledge through your own experience.

Quick Reply