Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can I primary in plastic bucket?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #1
Beerens
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default How long can I primary in plastic bucket?

Sorry if this is a repeat question, I search for over a half hour for the answer to this question. I have been convinced in my reading here to stop using a secondary. I am currently using a plastic bucket for my primary and know there is some threat of O2 making its way into the bucket through the plastic. How long can I safely leave a beer in my bucket without a threat of O2 contamination?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
mikebiewer
Recipes 

I've heard up to 6 months on this forum.

How long has it been in there and how long are you planning to leave it in there I think is the better question? A month? Sure, two months, sure, longer...? Why?

Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #3
Beerens
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It has only been there for three weeks. I am just wondering for the future. Should I switch to the glass carboy that I have or buy a pet bottle? Will the plastic bucket work for up to two months? Will my beer be oxidized in two months, three months or what? I just did not know...

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I went 34 days once in a primary (plastic) and got Best of Show...

Actually, you shouldn't rack your brew (from the primary) until the FG is met.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Carboys are nice because they're less permeable to air than the plastic food grade buckets are, so there's less chance of oxidizing the beer and getting the nasty wet cardboard taste. I've had a RIS sitting in plastic for 5 months before and had no problems, but that may not always be the case. Funny story, kinda.... I forgot about it in my basement.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

andr: do tell?

i go 10-14 days in ale pails. im not fully trusting.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:49 PM   #7
AndrwHock
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, I was storing it in an unfinished room in my basement where I have my sump set up. Some big ole storms came in and the sump couldn't really keep up so I got some water in that room. Thank God none of the water made it to the freshly carpeted area in my basement with my beloved pool table, but I did have to move my bucket to another sealed off area with my heating unit. The water eventually drained from that first room, no issues, and I simply forgot about the RIS in primary by my furnace, as I had two other brews in secondary already and was planning another brew day... rookie mistake I guess.

Some time passes...

Problems with the furnace... I call in a repair guy and nearly the first thing he says when he gets in to inspect is "What the hell is in this bucket that I almost tripped over?"

And there is the tale of the mysterious disappearing RIS. Turned out pretty good and was worth the furnace trouble, heh.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #8
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

windfall!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM   #9
osagedr
Recovering from Sobriety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Lots of good options; you can rack it or leave it and you'll get good beer either way. Do whatever gives you peace of mind; if that's using a secondary so be it--not like there is any realistic downside to that.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
Beerens
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Racking to secondary takes time and the risk of infecting a batch goes up, just a bit I know. Why do it if you don't have to? I am overjoyed that I can leave it in primary for up to a month and not have to deal with it until I bottle it. Just makes the process that much easier.

Tutsbrew Likes This 

Quick Reply