Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can I leave brew in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
zonabb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long can I leave brew in primary?

My brew has been in the primary fermentor for 9 days and it stopped fermenting maybe 4 days ago and I haven't had a chance to rack and bottle. Can I wait untl this weekend? It's been at a steady 66-68 degrees.

As for bottling... can someone point to a simple outline? I think what I need to do is create a priming solution, pour that in the bottling bucket and then siphon from the primary into to that and then bottle????

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
King of the Swill
Recipes 

2 weeks in primary is NO problem. Will have settled nicely. 1 week in secondary will help clarity. Bottle with auto siphon kit and bottle filler. Have a towel under the bottles because you will probably have some minor spillage.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4369 Times on 3177 Posts
Likes Given: 850

I bottle using my bottling bucket and a bottle filler. One tip I learned the hard way- I use the dishwasher door to bottle. I put the door down, line up some bottles and fill them there. Then I just lift them up to the counter for capping. I usually spill and overfill a few bottles and it helps contain the mess.

you're right about the procedure- boil the priming solution, cool it, add it to your bottling bucket and siphon the beer into it. Put the tip of the tubing at an angle under the solution so it doesn't splash, but it will "swirl" around and mix that way. You don't want to aerate your beer.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I left a IIPA in primary for 6 weeks. It was totally fine.

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #5
emmpeethree
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I bottle using my bottling bucket and a bottle filler. One tip I learned the hard way- I use the dishwasher door to bottle. I put the door down, line up some bottles and fill them there. Then I just lift them up to the counter for capping. I usually spill and overfill a few bottles and it helps contain the mess.
good idea! will save me from mopping the floor everytime i bottle (which may be agood thing!)

Old 04-06-2007, 03:13 AM   #6
LS_Grimmy

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I have left mine in for about 1 month and it actually helped out with the clarity with no off flavours... I know brewers that don't even use secondary's. They go from primary after a couple months to a bucket with bulk priming

My Web Site:
www.grimmysbeer.com

Old 04-06-2007, 06:13 AM   #7
treehouse
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick
I use the dishwasher door to bottle. I put the door down, line up some bottles and fill them there. Then I just lift them up to the counter for capping. I usually spill and overfill a few bottles and it helps contain the mess.
Great tip Yooper! I love HowmeBrewTalk for tips like this. One problem however: I don't have a dishwasher. Dang!

Quick Reply