Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can beer be in secondary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2007, 06:22 PM   #1
barniclebob12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long can beer be in secondary?

Hi all. I'm back.

As my title suggest, how long can beer stay in secondary? For one thing leading to another my beer ended up sitting in secondary for about close to 1month now. Possibly another few more days. How long could I possibly leave it on secondary safely? What is longest time has anyone else left their beer on secondary?

I saw somewhere people flavoring their beer on secondary. Isn't that kinda dangerous? contamination and all. Or is it only certain kind of things I can throw in to flavor the beer on secondary.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
bigjohnmilford
bigger than most
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 112

you've got no worries

What's your hobby Ray? Drinkin. Want a beer Buddy?

Old 11-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Brakeman_Brewing
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

in most cases secondary is just for clearing your beer before you bottle/keg, i dont think there is such thing as 'too long in secondary' so you are golden buddy.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #4
Professor Frink

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Years. I've heard of people keeping imperials or barleywines in secondary for over a year with no ill effects.

On tap:Amber Ale
Milk Stout

Lagering:

http://www.lazydogbrewery.com

Old 11-08-2007, 07:45 PM   #5
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

In two weeks I drank 5 gallons of porter that I had sitting in a secondary fermenter for about 4 months. I am so sad that it is gone, but so happy that it tasted so good. It was about 8% abv and tasted so smooth, I cant even begin to talk about it. It was a bit filling though, you could skip dinner and get down 3 a night, but that was more than enough.

Higher Abv and beers with more hops do better sitting for a long time, don't worry about it and drink a beer.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 11-08-2007, 09:04 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Since I keg from the fermenter, I guess you could say my 2003 barley wine has been in 'secondary' since May, 2003.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply