Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long from brew to bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
eighteez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long from brew to bottle?

I'm preparing to puchase my starter kit, and one thing I'd like to know is how long do most ales take to go from boiling to the bottles?

This will tell me if I need multiple fermenters. If it sits for a long time in there. I'd like to be able to work on batch #2 while batch #1 is fermenting, if fermenting takes a long time....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
MNBugeater

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Fermentation time is dependent on many variables...but generally speaking you will hear anything from 7 days to 3 months.

For your basic starter kit with an OG 1.040-1.050, fermentation is usually complete in 7-10 days, but additional time in the fermentor allow the yeast to do some clean up. Alot of experienced brewers here leave it in the fermentor for 4 weeks as a general rule.

Buy more fermentors

On Tap: Blonde Ale, Apfelwein, Cinnamon Apfelwein, Amber Ale, Irish Red
Bottled: Porter, Wheat, Barleywine, Cranberry Apfelwein, Amber Ale
Buy Bugeater Brewery Gear

Old 04-23-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Mencken
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

You sound like me in that you're impatient to get your beer. I'd recommend getting two. A secondary will help to clarify your beer, and also help to free up your primary for brewing batch 2.

My scheduling for a basic ale is 14 days in the primary, 7 days in the secondary, then in the bottle for a min of three weeks. This could be longer, depending on the beer. But I'd say bank on at least 2-3 weeks before you bottle

Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I wouldn't go less than 5 weeks. 2 weeks fermentation & 3 weeks bottle conditioning.

Make sure to use your hydrometer to make sure fermentation is completed before bottling.

My standard ale MO is 3 weeks primary & 4 weeks bottle conditioning.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

There are a ton of threads on this, but here goes....

It depends on the type of beer you are going to brew. Some take longer to ferment, usually the higher gravity beers, but not necessarily. Most will say don't pay attention to the airlock and look for consecutive days with identical hydrometer readings. Some will say let it sit for 3-4 weeks and then bottle and let that sit for at least another 3 weeks.

You're looking at 3 weeks for something resembling beer in a bottle that can be consumed, but it won't be all it could be. As age increase quality follows.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #6
phatuna
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

typically 2 - 4 weeks. I purchased the cheap starter kit with ale pale and bottling bucket. I brewed my first to make sure that I enjoyed it. once my 1st was happily fermenting away, I quickly ordered my second batch of beer and included with it an auto syphon and a new 6 gallon better bottle so I could brew 2 at a time.
My $0.02 is to go slowly, make sure that you enjoy it and upgrade as you go along.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
eighteez
Recipes 

I'm not concerned with the "sitting in the bottle" time.

It can sit as long as it needs to there.

As I said, I'm planning my kit and concerned with the time it will sit in my buckets. If it needs to occupy the bucket for 3-4 weeks I'll want another couple of buckets.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
SchizoFilly
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That's the spirit, er, beer.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
davesrose
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

If you're not getting a hydrometer just yet, and this is an ale, the best rule to follow is probably the 1-2-3 rule. One week in primary, two weeks in secondary, and 3 in bottles. Some people rack to secondary as soon as the hydrometer doesn't change....other people just keep the beer in primary for 3 weeks or so. I've tried all methods and get good results with all.....but for taste and clarity, I still prefer transfering to secondary right as fermentation stops.

On the Bench: Racer 5 IPA

"One of the first things early caveman did, when he crawled out of the mudd, was to make beer. And cavemen everywhere are still making beer...and drinking beer." - Jean Sheperd

Old 04-23-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
eighteez
Recipes 

If I wanted to make a 2nd batch inside of 3-4 weeks it looks like I want a 2nd primary fermentation bucket.

Great info, thanks guys!

Quick Reply