Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long to boil hop pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
grasshopper1917
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default How long to boil hop pellets

How long do you have to boil hop pelletts to get the bitter into the beer? Is 30 mins enough to add bitterness?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 354 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 95

60 minutes is standard for a bittering addition. Pellets are no different from leaf hops in this regard (utilization can be a bit higher, though). Shorter boil times means less bitterness, more flavor.

I'd suggest perusing www.howtobrew.com (the first edition of Palmer's excellent book, available free online). Lots of this kind of information is available there. Read it, re-read it, buy the paperback, put it in the john, read it a third time.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply